82

chapter eighty-two; real life

*reece pov*

It's been a little over eighteen hours since she's come out of surgery, and I haven't left her side since.

I've ignored the boys' pleas for me to go home and just stayed here right next to her with my hand laced with hers.

The only thing running through my head at the moment is the fact that I put her here. I was the one that made her run out of that house. I was the one that got her in the situation.

"Reece, you should go home." Connor says softly.

"No. I'm not going, and you can't force me."

"But-"

"But nothing. I'm not leaving."

"Reece-"

"Quit trying to get me to go home." I say harshly.

"Fine."

Suddenly, her hand squeezes mine, and when I look up, she's struggling to open her eyes.

"Leanna?" I smile. "You're okay."

"I'll go get a doctor." Connor says before standing up and walking out.

"Wh- what happened?"

I gulp.

"Is it bad?"

"Well you're in intensive care."

"What exactly happened?"

"You're awake!" The doctor says as he walks in, immediately towards Connor and I. "I need to speak with Miss Ball in private, if that's alright?"

We nod and walk outside of the room, anger flooding throughout me when I see Sebastian.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

He looks over at Connor and I.

"I would like to know what the hell is going on with Leah."

"She doesn't need you here."

"And you think I care? I'm her brother for god's sake."

I roll my eyes. "Not a very good one."

"What did you just say?"

"I said that you aren't a very good brother."

"You're trying to rip away a good thing that she has going for her." Connor says coldly. "You can't just do that because you-"

"Because I what? I'm trying to protect her!"

"By breaking her heart?"

"No! She just can't be in the spotlight because of our mother. She can't!"

"And why not?"

"Because who knows what's going to happen to her if my mother snaps? The press always know where people are, and that'll help our mother find her and do whatever-"

"Then why the hell did you tell Reece that she was sick?"

"I wanted him to get mad at her."

"Well it worked, but I'm not ending things with her just because of that. She's not sick."

"Then why the hell is she in here?"

||

*leanna pov*

"How are you feeling?"

I look over at Reece.

"I hurt. Everywhere."

"I know. I wish this didn't happen to you."

"I'm pretty sure everyone does."

"Reece, I can stay here. You need to go home." Connor says as he walks back into the room.

"No, I'm staying."

"You've been here the entire time. Go home and get some sleep."

"And I said that I was staying. I'm not leaving my girlfriend in a hospital alone."

"Alright. I'll go tell the others that Leah's awake and okay then."

A silence takes over, not an awkward one but a comfortable one. Knowing that he's been here the entire time despite the events that happened last night making my mood just a little bit better.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Stop, it's not your fault."

"But Leanna-"

"Don't blame yourself for it, please? It would tear you up. I can't see that."

"Okay. I won't."

He smiles weakly and presses a kiss against my forehead before sitting down and laying his head on my lap.

"How long have you been up?" I ask as I play with his hair.

"I haven't slept since Monday."

"Reece!"

"What? I was worried sick."

"It's Wednesday, and I'm not having you collapse because of sleep deprivation. Now sleep."

"I don't want to."

"Why not?"

"Because then that means I have to leave you."

"What?"

"I would have to go home."

"No you wouldn't."

"What do you mean? Being hunched over in a chair is pretty uncomfortable, and I don't think the nurses would appreciate it either."

I pick his head up and move over slightly, despite the pain, and pat the spot next to me.

"Yes, the bed's a little small, but we'll manage."

"Am I even allowed to do that?"

I shrug. "Who knows? I don't care though."

He smiles weakly before laying down next to me, laying his head on my shoulder. He laces his fingers with mine, gently rubbing the back of my hand with his thumb.

"I love you."

"I love you too." I say and kiss his forehead.