68

chapter sixty-eight; real life

"I don't want to talk to you, quit ruining my vacation."

'But leah-'

"No! You hurt me, and I can't just put it in the past and forget about it."

'I know, but Leah, she left again.'

I scoff. "I told you so."

'But she said she was going to LA to find you.'

"I am not speaking to her."

'I know, and I told her that. She wouldn't give up.'

"Ugh."

'I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that, but Leah, she's not right. Be careful.'

"What the hell does that-"

I stop talking when I realize he's hung up.

Someone knocks on the hotel door, and I'm hoping it's Reece. He went down to the lobby to get a drink, as our date is in three hours.

"Did you forget your key?" I ask as I walk over.

There's no reply, so instead I look through the peephole, backing away immediately.

I grab my phone and dial Reece's number.

'You already miss me? I'm literally downstairs.'

"Haha very funny. My mother is here."

'Wait, what?"

"I don't know why. She's-"

"Leanna Mae, I know you're here!"

'I'm on my way up. Do I need to get security?'

"Please?"

'Okay. I'll talk to the front desk and see what they can do.'

The door suddenly opens up, making me jump.

"What are you-"

"Thank you so much! I probably shouldn't forget my key."

My mother shuts the door and turns towards me.

"Get out!" I shout.

"No! You need to talk to me!"

"No!"

I push her towards the door.

"If you don't talk to me I'll hurt Sebastian!"

I stop walking and stare at her coldly. "Don't you fucking dare!"

"Why? You have a problem with that?"

"Yes! Why wouldn't I have a problem with that?!"

She smirks.

"I already don't have a good relationship with my brother because of you, and I definitely will not let you hurt him."

"Really? Watch me."

"Why is it that you have to threaten your own family? You're crazy to think that that is okay."

The door flies open, and two men grab my mother and pull her out of the room. Reece rushes over to me and wraps his arms around me.

"How did she even get in here?"

"She convinced the cleaning lady that she forgot her key." I hold back my sobs.

"I'm sorry." He kisses my forehead. "We'll get a new hotel, okay?"

I nod.

"I'm so so sorry. I wish this didn't happen to you."

"I do too."

||

Two hours later Reece and I were in a new hotel on the other side of the city, laying in the hotel bed, hoping that maybe watching FRIENDS and listening to a terrible Chandler joke will cheer me up.

So far?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

I know I should be happy I have someone like Reece by my side, but when my mother flies thousands of miles to threaten hurting my brother if I don't talk to her, well, it kind of ruins your day.

Don't get me wrong, it was already bad enough since I had to work with Isaac, but that was the last straw.

I swear I need a restraining order or something.

"Feeling any better?"

"No." I look up. "I'm sorry we had to cancel our date."

"I would rather cuddle with you and watch FRIENDS then dress up and eat fancy food I don't even know how to pronounce."

I smile. "You're the best."

"I try."

I lift my head up from his chest.

"I don't deserve you."

"No. It's me who doesn't deserve you."

"Reece, I have a shit life. I'm a shit person. You're amazing in every way, I don't know why a guy like you is even with me."

"Stop it. Don't ever think that you're not worth it because you are. I don't know what I would do without your laugh or your smile in my life. You're so damn beautiful and kind, and it kills me inside to know that the woman I'm in love with doesn't believe it."

"Love?"

He gently presses his lips against mine before pulling away and looking into my eyes.

"Leanna Mae Ball, I love you so much it hurts."

In that moment it feels like my heart has exploded into a million pieces, and I get a weird tingling sensation in my stomach as I hear him say those three words.

"If you don't feel the same, then it's okay. It's early in the relationship and I don't-"

"Reece, shut up."

"What?"

"I love you too."

His eyes widen. "You- you do?"

"Of course I do!"

Reece smiles and kisses me again, his hands trailing down my body.

I smile into the kiss, not being able to think of anything I would rather be doing right now.