Dawn

Okay, this is the before last chapter of Cold Rejection. Please read the Authors' note bellow for two special announcements. Okay my ghosts enjoy!!

"Are you excited?" Zander asked his son whom he held by the hand. Vince shrugged and the alpha sighs.

He knew Vince was on the fence about having a sibling. It was too sudden! No one had asked him if wanted one, whether or not he was okay with it. Nor could they, what if he said no? What would they do then?

The only thing they could do was ease him into the change. And the mall was as normal as any place else to meet new people. Though meeting Dawn wouldn't be the usual, hello goodbye as the kid would be coming home with them. But the first impressions were important. The trick question was how can a 3-year old make a good impression on a boy of 7?

The indoor carnival was all the adults could come up with. But when Hazel showed up with the blue-eyed boy grasping at his hand for dear life, Vince knew he wouldn't have fun. Though he didn't want a sibling. Still, his mind had run wild, picturing images of what his 'little brother' would look like, Vince had expectations. And Dawn had fallen short of them all. 

He was too small, and because of that, they couldn't go on any of the good rides.

He was weird, quiet and stupid! What else would you call a person who liked fruits on their ice cream and not sprinkles?

His father and Hazel were also being weird. Repeating and gesturing to the little things that they had in common as if that would make up for all they had different.

Vince said nothing because his grandfather once told him if you can't say something nice, then he shouldn't say anything at all. That, and he figured that his mother, his father, and Hazel had enough to say about the little whiny baby without he having to add to it.

As the sun sat, ember and violet decorating the sky through the glass ceiling. The newly formed family of four had claimed a small table in the food court. At the moment, only two sat around the round surface.

"So, what do you think?" The omega questioned the silent child. Knowing very well that the day hadn't gone quite the way they had hoped between the boys. Vince shrugged.

Hazel sighed, he wasn't oblivious to the fact that both he had Zander had been bending over backward on Dawn's behalf, relying far too much on Vince to behave. And the seven-year-old had been behaving for most parts. But he was just a kid, and his emotional mask wasn't quite to the level where it could hide his pout.

The omega pulled the plate away from the future alpha's reach and chanced the forbidden question.

"Are you okay with this?" He asked receiving another shrugged for his bravery. And just when the omega was about to give up, Vince spoke and Hazel was grateful for small victories.

"I guess," The little voice says.

"Do you want a brother?"

For the third time, there was a shrug and Hazel found that he preferred the talkative little Vince as opposed to the silent brooding one. But all was not lost as the seven-year-old spoke again.

"He's too small," He says "And he eats weird." He adds pointing his nose up at the vegetarian pizza that sat stripped of greens and haft eaten on his plate. "And he talks weirds. He's super weird" Vince concludes and Hazel does his best not to laugh. Chancing a glance behind himself, making sure Zander has not yet returned from the bathroom with the three-year-old before leaning in closer to Vince.

"He is weird" The omega whispered. Vince's eyes widen and he grinned at the thought of having an ally.

"He eats vanilla ice cream with oranges" He whispers back and this time Hazel made no attempt to suppress his laughter.