Cold

This is it, the last chapter. I think I might cry...Don't forget about the chose your own epilogue thing, tell me what you want and I might make your dreams come through. If not I'll just do as I want. But I've had some great readers on this story and this is one of the ways I want to thank you (You know who you are!) 

"I never thought we'd ever met"

Haze heard the words like a blur, the beating of his heart and the blood rushing through his veins muffling her voice.

She never thought they would meet? He never wanted to! Never dream of such a waking nightmare!

Yet here they were, sitting in a small cafe, a hot late nursed in his hands. He hadn't taken a single sip, wouldn't dare, not with the amount of adrenaline already rushing through him.

The last twenty hours had been good, not very great as it started with picking up the boys from Rippers' place after the whole egg incident, but it got better with the revelation of Xavier's awakening. He remembered laughter, questions, lost of questions from Vince, and Zander and Dawns shy little voice asked a few of their own. Dinner was Chinese take out as both Hazel and Zander found themselves with a sudden mass of calls to make.

The omega, to keep up with the health and various medical exams of the former leader. And the alpha in preparation to leave Diamond Lykos for a few days.

Tomorrow...Today, they were going to return to Stone and visit Xavier. Even James was coming with. Last night was hectic, Vince was hyped and it seemed as though Dawn fed off the energy because getting them to settle down was a war, this morning was no better.

But with the promise of leaving in the evening, the boys had breakfast, cheese sandwiches, and went to school with minimal fight.

Zander and James had a few paperwork to deal with and Hazel had to pick up a few things for both the travel and the incantation he'd need to perform during the former alphas' rehabilitation.

He was in the exotic ile of a specialized spice shop when it happened. When she appeared.

Later today, he'll be smiling and laughing along with his the boys on the way to their grandfather. His mind would drift back to this moment, not too often, but enough so to get a few worried looks from Zander and James.

The days that will follow while being filled with spells and charm making, Vince and Dawn will have their first official fight as siblings and Zander would be busy with the pack, catching up from his absence. Hazel would also be busy and so he'll think of it less.

Weeks, months, eventually years will past and from time to time when the light hit Vince or Dawn's eyes in a certain way. Or on that fixed date once a year when James gets drunk and mumble about his past, the omega would think of today. But by then, the anger would have given way to a sort of silent sadness and uncondemned understanding.

At this moment, today sitting at the opposite end of a small round table. All he felt was rage Anger so poisonous it choked him. It was difficult to look past it when very seconds that tick by like hours.

Why? he wondered, did he agree to follow her here? A stranger whom he recognized by familiar eyes and little else.

And why was she easily sipping on a double nonfat caramel macchiato so easily when he was hardly able to stop his grip from crushing the styrofoam cup and spilling the hot beverage within.

"You haven't said a word" Vanessa spoke up again. Her palms were sweaty, her heart hammering in her chest and to those that knew her well, the trembling in her voice was so very obvious.

But only a few knew her best. Two she'd turned her back on, and the other turned their back to her.

This moment right now would hunt her for days. She'd stay up long nights thinking of what she should have said and how she could have said it better to be understood. Her cheeks would grow warm with embarrassment and she'd wonder why she even said certain words to begin with.