Bars, Bastards, and Boats

My fair ghosts, once again I have surprised you with an extra chapter this week. In fact my ectoplasm friends, I'm in the process of amusing the thought of posting not once but twice a week on a regular basis. Thoughts? Hunt me with your comments. Once again, i thank you for your support, your votes, and your amusement.

The plan was simple, the spell that would most likely cure Xavier would kill the weakened alpha in an instant. So Hazel had to make him stronger. His treatment? Lots of cleansing, physical therapy and an elixir every other day.

Simply enough, but very annoying in nature. Repetition always was.

What was good was that Xavier was responding very well to treatment, within the first week he was looking better, less pale and he'd only wore his mask when sleeping.

His condition was stable enough for Hazel to rethinking his decision on watching over the old man during the following weekend.

"You weren't there Saturday" Vince had commented the Monday after, blue eyes wide with a hint of disappointment.

"Yeah" The omega had answered in what he hoped was a neutral tone as he set up the necessary for the today's cleansing. The little boy following close behind.

"Why?" He pushed.

It was then Hazel paused mid-action and chance a glance over to Xavier only to find him staring into the distance. He signed and took a knee in front of the child so that Vince had to slightly lower his head in order to me Hazel's eyes.

"Vince, we hang out all the time here right?"The omega began with a soft smile, reaching for small hands. "But you only hang out with your father on Saturday."He explained somewhat truthfully. He didn't want to come between the father-son duo.

But his explanation only made blue eyes clouded with confusion.

"We can all hang out together." He says. As if the solution was that simple and easy. Hazel smiled and ran a hand through Vince's hair. An affectionate gesture he'd somehow fallen into.

"I don't think that's wise." He told him. To which Vince showed no understatement but nodded all the same. And the topic was never brought up again, tough Hazel would like to think they had grown closer.

Close enough for his school to call him on Vince's behalf.

it was the middle of the afternoon. Ten or so minutes after the future alpha was schedule to walk in through the door, backpack in hand and mouth already running a mile per minute as he told them, Xavier and Hazel alike, about his day.

The nurse that took care of the old man's physical therapy had just arrived and was in a conversation with the former alpha while the omega sat on a chair not too far away, glancing at the door with a frown every so often.

It was inching closer to 20 minutes after Vince's usual arrival and Hazel's worry was blooming into something more when he felt his phone buzz in his pocket.

Aside from the current, former and future alphas, he'd place his number on various job application so the unknown number didn't surprise him in the least, though it had been a while since he'd had to answer one.

8 minutes later he was leaving Vince's school building with a silent 7-year-old pouting next to him.

"Why did you hit him?" The omega question not at all surprised when the response didn't come right away. He wasn't expecting to get one at all really, but he did. A very simple one.

"He's a bully" Was all Vince said, his hand gripping the dark blue straps of his backpack.

Hazel stop his advance and place his hands on Vince's shoulders, pulling him to the side before lowering himself to his knees at in attempting to meet blue eyes that avoided him at all cost.