52

fifty-two

brooklyn

"Ooo, I've never been here before." I commented, entering this cute smoothie place a few minutes from school. Carter held the door open for me and led me to the register.

"What are you feeling?"

"I'm so indecisive, just pick something, anything" I said and he smiled. "Alright. Do you like mango?"

"Ofcourse." I smiled back at him. He ordered two of the same drink and paid for the both of them graciously. I swear I would've argued but a bitch forgot her wallet.

Carter quickly sat down at a table and I followed his lead, and sat across from him.

"So... are you going to your year 12 prom?" He asked and I shrugged, sipping the smoothie. "Ugh, I don't kn- oh wow, this is good."

Carter chuckled. "You should go. I skipped last year and I really regret it now." He said.

"Why?"

"Because last year I had someone to go with! This year I'm a fucking loner, you have no idea. I might not even go." He sighed, taking a long sip from the straw below his chin.

"Wait, you're in Year 13?" I asked, surprised. "This is your last chance, come on you can't miss it too."

"Who am I gonna go with? Maggie?" He laughed and i smiled.

This is your chance, bitch.

I took a deep breath and spoke,"Well...Maybe.. I could go with you?" I suggested, too innocently.

He laughed.

Laughed.

"Aren't you dating that hairy guy?"

"Harry," I corrected him, "Um.. he won't mind."

"What? Why? Did you guys break up?"

"Something like that," I muttered.

"Aww, Brooklyn that sucks, I'm sorry." He said sincerely. I shook my head, "It's no big deal" I muttered incoherently into my straw. "I'm kind of surprised, the kid was practically in love with you. What happened?"

"Why'd you say that? Are you guys like friends are something?"

"No, It's just he was always like getting in fights because of you, defending you, it seemed like he'd do anything for you." Carter said. Guilt bubbled in my stomach, what the fuck was I doing? I should seriously just sit down and talk to Harry, I can't see why he would really cheat on me when he was leaving in practically seconds. I don't even have any solid proof.. what if something deeper is going on?

"Anyways, I don't wanna bum you out. We'll be alone together," He reached out and grabbed my hand resting on the table. "Prom is gonna be amazing."