28

twenty-eight

brooklyn

I woke up today and I immediately knew that today was going to be the hardest thing to get through. Everyday has been equally as hard without Harry. I was all alone all over again and it's been almost 2 weeks.

I shoved my hands deep inside my winter coat, hugging the thick material close to my body although it didn't help anything. As if on cue a sharp horn ruptured through my ears.

"Brooklyn! I know you're cold! Let's talk about this!" Harry shouted from his rolled-down window. I just rolled my eyes although he couldn't see my expression, why can't he just give up? why does he never understand simple phrases?

I looked over at him and just kept walking, trying to seem unphased. The entire situation still made my blood boil, and it hurt to even think about.

"S-Samantha isn't my girlfriend. You can ask her yourself- I've been trying to get a hold of her but she won't pick up my calls. You're being a child, I wanna explain-" Harry shouted, still driving incredibly slow beside me. I didn't respond, infact I didn't even look up.

"I know you can hear me, Brooklyn!" He sung and I shook my head. "Hey, is this guy bothering you?" A man asked, emerging from the bus stop. He looked around our age, maybe a little older. I didn't know how to respond.

"Uh-"

"No, we're fine, thank you." Harry answered him, the stranger glared at him before looking back to me.

"I wasn't talking to you- is he bothering you, miss?"

"No.. he's not." I said lowly, the man stared Harry down and hastily sat back on the bus stop bench. I continued to walk and Harry soon gave up, realizing he was already 10 minutes late and speeding into school. Soon enough I also reached. I stomped inside and to my luck the hallways were empty so I could race to my English class without anyone slowing me down.

I frowned, keeping my eyes glued on tiled floor as I found my way to my locker. I was interrupted by someone knocking into me, i stumbled, looking up. Ofcourse, it was a white boy.

"Oh, look, the monkey can't walk.." the boy spat down on me. I shook it off, and tried to walk past him but he blocked my way.

"Watch where you're walking, you fucking ape." He mumbled down to me, I bit my lip containing the many profanities that wanted to escape. "Can't speak English?" He said in a baby voice, chuckling.

"Don't talk to her like that, Jake." A voice snapped, I whipped my head around only to see Harry. "Aww- he's defending his girlfriend," Jake cooed. "I don't get it, Harry. She's the reason Chase and Nick got suspended.. You have every bitch in this entire school drooling over you... yet, you waste your time chasing.. that..." he said, slowly approaching Harry. I saw Harry's jaw clench as the two of them got closer, and I just stood to the side, watching like an idiot.

"You got anything to say for yourself?" Jake spat down to me, I clenched my jaw, trying to stop the wave of anger that fell over me but I failed miserably. I swung at his jaw, as hard as I could but he gripped my wrist, digging his nails into my skin.

As if on cue, Harry swung too. Hitting Jake straight in the nose. He groaned holding, releasing my wrist and cupping his face. "What the fuck!" Jake screamed, Harry just punched him again, this time in the jaw, making him collapse onto the cold tile floor. Harry looked down at Jake, blood beginning to drip from either of his nostrils, and his eyes screwed shut. Harry's green eyes bulged, as he looked down at his bruising fist, terrified.

"Mr. Styles, do you understand that you are here on an exchange scholarship program! You're grades have dropped significantly, you're skipping classes, and now fighting! Lincoln Prep. does not tolerate this kind of behaviour, and it comes with consequences!" The principal screamed.

I shuffled in the uncomfortable wooden chair, that was kind of itchy as well. I was sat between Harry and Jake, and never in my life have I felt more uncomfortable.

"Harry you're an excellent student. Through all your hardships, you managed to maintain your 3.8 GPA and im not gonna let you throw this all away. Now, Brooklyn-" Mr. Fitzgerald started, but Harry cut him off.

"None of this is her fault, sir. I hit Jake, she didn't do anything." Harry spoke up, taking the blame for me.

"I don't care who hit who. Brooklyn, you've been a very problematic student the past semester, and I think it's time you paid some consequences. I'd like to meet with your mother tonight, and until further punishment you're suspended for the rest of the week."

"-she didn't do anything! Jake was bullying her, she didn't even touch him!" Harry shouted, making Jake sit up and also begin to shout. I didn't even move.

"Okay, Okay," the principal silenced the angered boys. "Jake, I want to meet with your parents tomorrow night, and same with you Harry. All of you are suspended for the rest of the week, alright? Get to class."