27

twenty-seven

brooklyn

Junior very happily agreed to go to his room, leaving me alone in the sitting room. I watched Harry's dusty old car drive off my street as a pit of hurt formed in my stomach, I just wanted to cry.

This is what happens when you trust people, Brooklyn.

At this point my thoughts were doing more harm to me than Harry was, and all I wanted was for someone to just listen to me, to comfort me. And the only person I could think of was Derek.

Sooner than later I found myself knocking on his front door, it was around 3, and I didn't know whether he'd be home or not. To my surprise, the door opened, revealing a shirtless Derek in swim trunks and a big smile.

"Hey Brooklyn, what are you doing here?" He said, beaming. I immediately felt uncomfortable and regretted my decision of coming over.

"I-I... I needed to talk, I guess.." I shrugged and Derek nodded, his bright smile quickly fading. "Are you okay?" He asked, obviously concerned. I really didn't know how to answer that question. "Yeah, I'm fine." I lied and he nodded, gesturing me in then closing the door behind me.

"I was about to go into the hot tub if you wanted to join me," he suggested and my eyes immediately trailed down to my goosebump covered arms.

"It's freezing, and my bathing suits are so far," I whined and he giggled. "It's a hot tub — it's heated and you can use one of my moms, she has some extra ones" he suggested and I sighed.

"Come on...." he persisted, shaking me and I just shrugged. "Okay, fine."

He smiled pointing towards the staircase and I followed him up. I've only seen little peeks inside of Derek's house, and I've never been this deep. It was pretty, had a lot of family photos around, in this one portrait it was him, two older men I didn't recognize, his mom, and his sister. One of the guys was obviously his father, and I guess the other was his brother, either of which he had never brought up.

Soon we reached the top of the staircase, I followed him through the hallway to a bedroom.

"One second," he said and I nodded standing to myself. Derek soon returned with a ruby red string bikini in his hands. I laughed.

"Is that your moms?" I said, taking it out of his hands and he shivered. "Yeah, it's like 30 years old so just a warning" he giggled and i laughed with him.

I took the bikini and entered her bathroom, quickly taking off everything, and replacing it with the three shoelaces that made up this bikini. I folded all my clothes and hugged them to my tummy, before walking out.

Derek turned around making direct eye contact with my boobs. "Where can I put my clothes?" I ask him.

"Great.. what? Oh, um.. just throw them on my bed. I'll get the hot tub started," he shrugged shuffling out of his moms room. I nodded and awkwardly walked back and forth through the long wooden hallway, until I found what looked like his room. I put the clothes at the edge of his bed, before walking back down the staircase.

Soon enough, I found the back door and walked out. The hot tub was black with white marble on the inside, the water was glowing purple, and I was shivering so incredibly bad.

I placed my phone on the edge and tied my box braids into a high bun.

I felt hands on my shoulders and turned around, only to see Derek. "You're going to freeze to death," he laughed walking me over to the hot tub. I sighed in relief as the hot water submerged my cold body. I settled on the marble seat and Derek did the same.

"We should do this weekly," he joked and I laughed. "I'll bring a real bathing suit next time," I said and he laughed too. "Sorry about that - i hope you don't think in a perv, that's all she had that would fit you.."

"No, no... it's fine, I understand."

"And i also know you have a boyfriend right now.. so.." he mumbled under his breath, and i just chuckled, making circles with my hand underwater.

"What? What happened?" He asked, and i didn't speak. I felt tears well in my eyes, all to soon. It was only then I realized I hadn't cried at all and it was all going to happen.. right now.

Derek slid over, to sit next to me, but I kept my face as far away from him as possible. "Brooklyn.." he said slowly and i sucked it up. Looking down at my hands that I still managed to fiddle with.

"He cheated on me."

"What-"

"I know it's not technically cheating, because we weren't ever dating. Which was my first mistake - we'd just make out one day and act like best friends the next day, and there was no real commitment. But I didn't wanna trust him because I always knew something was off, but I convinced myself and.... he had a girlfriend all this time..." i said, all in one big breath. Derek stared at me, his pink lips gaped open and pity welling in his brown eyes.

Pity was the last thing I wanted, and the last thing I came here for. Honestly, I'm not quite sure why I came here— but now I find myself heartbroken and half naked, in a hot tub, with my hot and fit sophomore neighbour.

"I don't know what to say," Derek shook his head. I swallowed hard, shrugging and sinking lower into the hot tub. "I'm sorry.." Derek said and I didn't look at him, even though his daze was digging itself into my cheek.

"Im always here.. if you need anything,"

"I know. You're a good person, Derek." I smiled, finally looking up at him. "No problem." He smiled back.

____________________

thank you for 6k and 400 votes !! also thank you for all the hilarious comments, they make my day that much better and i love reading themmm

i'm doing really well on these weekly updates it's been a month and i haven't missed a week yet so be proud

see you next wednesday bitches