"It's all a show," Hobi said, distracted, looking around for some familiar faces. "The business is made up of businessmen, of people. Other people aren't really investing in the business, they're investing in the people running it. And to make their employees look good, they want people with the full package: a loving spouse, a few cute kids, a nice house, maybe a pool in the backyard, a golden retriever, the whole nine yards."

"So we're getting a pool?"

Hobi just rolled his eyes before grabbing Yoongi's cuff and dragging him across the room. "Hey, guys!"

Joshua looked over with a grin. "Hey!"

Yoongi just sighed and nodded, meeting eyes with Woozi and Wonwoo, passing over Dino because he didn't like dealing with younger kids, and meeting Mingyu's for a second before passing over to Jeonghan. "Are you guys at all of these events?"

Dino pouted slightly and Wonwoo nodded expressionlessly.

"Dad drags us to most of these things. Good for company rep or whatever. But also because it means he doesn't have to cook dinner."

"Dad only comes because there's free alcohol," Jeonghan added. "Which I don't mind much at all."

"Dad comes because he's a good businessman," Joshua argued, rolling his eyes at the others. "The CEO likes him a lot. He might be getting a promotion soon."

They all chatted amongst themselves for a few minutes before Mingyu made his way over to Yoongi and brought him to the side.

"Hey, I heard about Jimin. Sorry to hear that...hope he feels better," Mingyu said, frowning apologetically, and Yoongi blinked.

"What?"

"My dad heard it from your dad. Step-dad, sorry," Mingyu corrected himself with a wince. "About Jimin coming down with something. But he said that they're taking him to the doctor tomorrow, right? So hopefully they'll be able to give him some antibiotics or something. Do you know what he has?"

Yoongi just paused before laughing bitterly and shaking his head, leaving Mingyu confused. "Jimin isn't sick," he finally said, rolling his eyes before crossing his arms. "He's fine."

"Oh...? Why isn't he here with you guys then?" Mingyu asked, frowning. "Is it me? Did he not like me? Is he avoiding me? Did I do something? Tell him I'm sorry, please! I didn't mean to come on too strong, I was just desperate for a friend my age and-"

"It's not you," Yoongi interrupted. He hadn't realized that they were the same age though since they didn't go to the same school.

They probably go to some preppy private school, Yoongi reasoned. That's where we were supposed to go, only the custody agreement kept us with the others at our old high school.

"Then what's wrong with Jimin?" Mingyu asked, hopping from side to side nervously.

"He dyed his hair pink," Yoongi said, rolling his eyes again. "Our step-dad was pissed. Used the you're an embarrassment to our family card again and locked him away at home where none of the important business people would see him and come to the conclusion that our family isn't perfect and whatever."

Mingyu frowned. "Your step-dad did that?"

Yoongi nodded. "He doesn't like Jimin. Any of us, really, but especially not Jimin because he's struggling in school, he's got that stutter, and now his hair is pink. According to our step-dad, that makes him a failure and a humiliation to us all." Yoongi exhaled, massaging his forehead. "What a load of bullshit."

Mingyu had to agree. "Is your step-dad always like that?"

Yoongi shrugged before nodding. "We only live with him because our mom wanted custody and he needed kids to bring to these stupid events to make him look like a family man. He pays for tutoring and stuff like that, but it's always about the money with him, and he wants us to be perfect. Everything we do is some sort of mistake meant to ruin his reputation." Yoongi shook his head, fluttering his eyelashes. "I'm sick of it, but what can you do, you know? We just do our best to get through it. We won't have to deal with him forever anyway."