lxxxvii.

warning: explicit language

"We're fine," Mark said forcefully for the twentieth time while shoving Namjoon out the door. "Now hurry up and get to your dinner date," he said.

"It's not a-"

Mark slammed the door shut, quickly flicking the locks while sighing. He could not fathom why this was the man his sister was hung up over, even while plenty of men were hung up over her.

A man that fussed over literally every detail even though Mark was a perfectly capable adult and could handle a few kids and a house.

A man that checked in with each one of his half-dozen children at least four times, assuring them that he wouldn't be gone long and making sure that they were okay with him going out.

A man that had misplaced his wallet three times and broken one lamp in the mere process of leaving his house.

Mark didn't understand it.

But if he's the one my sister wants so badly, even though I keep telling her that she could do so much better, then I have to do my best to make sure she gets him. Not that he deserves her.

Even if it means babysitting way too many kids who all have it out for me.

"Mark-hyung!" Jin greeted, grinning, and Mark felt a little of his initial misgiving fade away. "Come play a game with us!"

Mark smiled and went over to the kitchen table. Even if he acted like Namjoon's kids were a handful, he secretly enjoyed hanging out with them.

(Quite possibly also because his possessive wife didn't often let him hang out with any women or men from his work for fear that someone would take Mark away from her, not that that would ever happen because Mark was actually perfectly faithful and because they had two energetic children tying them together. All of which simply meant that most of Mark's social time was spent with children.)

"All right, I call the little dog one," Mark said, reaching for the metal game piece, but Jin was faster.

"No, the dog one is mine," he said, grinning cheekily.

"Um, excuse me? Who's the adult here?" Mark asked sassily, giving Jin an expectant smile while reaching out his hand.

Jin and the others made a big deal of looking left then right. "Adult? What adult?"

And so the night wore on.

***

Namjoon drove to the restaurant where he had arranged to meet Lisa and parked in the first spot he saw, already pulling out his phone as he put the car in park and calling the home phone.

He waited impatiently for three rings before he heard a click followed by a, "Hello? Dad?"

Namjoon smiled. "Jiminie. How are you doing, sweetie?"

"Good. How about you?" Jimin answered automatically, and Namjoon just laughed.

"I'm fine. I just got to the restaurant, and I wanted to check in before I have dinner. Is everyone okay? Are you having fun? Is Mark behaving?"

"Yes, Dad," Jimin said, giggling. "We are taking care of Mark very well. Will we get paid for babysitting him? Yoongi said so."

Namjoon snorted. "How about I buy you all food and pay for the house and send you all to school."

There was a brief moment of silence in which Jimin thought about how one of those things wasn't true, but he didn't want to bring it up and ruin his dad's once-in-a-blue-moon night out. "Okay, okay. Have fun, Dad!"