11 - You're The One That I Want

Start from the beginning

Which they haven't...yet.

I give her a fake laugh, one that I've done many times before and that I've perfected. "I saw the signs for the main hall and I had a mini tour earlier." I lie smoothly.

"Okay, that makes sense." She nods her head in understanding and opens the doors.

I follow in after her, ignoring the expressions of shock I receive from the students. Will they ever stop staring at me like I'm the Queen of England?

My drama teacher, a bubbly forty-something-year-old woman beams as she sees us. She bounces away from her desk in front of the large stage and rushes over to us. We meet her halfway of the little path between the rows of red seats for the audience.

"Whitney! How wonderful to see you here! I must say, I am extremely excited to be teaching a Hollywood actress." She confesses, smiling.

I return it, happy she's nice. I've actually never spoken Mrs. Sadie - my drama teacher - before because I didn't take drama two years ago. I didn't have the confidence back then to do drama.

"It's nice to meet you too Miss Sadie," I tell her and watch as her mouth stretches even further out. Surely her cheeks hurt by now, like I know if I smile too widely if kills.

"Thanks, dear, now do you want to take a seat and I'll start the lesson." She asks, insinuating for me to sit down. I walk down to an empty row of seats, Hannah following closely behind me. From my peripheral vision, my old gang staring. Again.

Hannah chucks her body on the uncomfortable seat, that I've spent many times sitting on and hating. They are really thin and are basically made out of wood. Instead of being called chairs, they should be called back killers.

Once I'm sat down, Mrs. Sadie strutters up onto the stage, a bounce in her step. This woman is just a bundle of happiness.

"Well, hello my amazing drama students. As you can see, we have a new student here today. I'm not going to bother introducing her since you probably already know her." She says, her eyes glancing at me. I give Mrs. Sadie a grateful smile, glad that I don't have to saunter up on the stage and blabber on about something pointless. Everyone already knows who I am anyways. "So as you know, we are going to be doing a musical this term, for the end of year performance. This is for the school but it will help towards your grade. Whether you can sing or not, you better be putting 110%"

I look around the room, noticing some of the student's excited faces; some other people with bored faces. Obviously, some people didn't really want to do this subject. Drama isn't for everyone.

"So the musical we are going to be doing this year is..." she pauses, for dramatic effect. Her eyes wander to each student. "Grease!"

A few girls in front of me cheer excitedly whilst a few boys to my left groan. I smile, glad that it's going to be something I enjoy. That film was my actual favorite. When I was ten, I used to dance to that song on my bed before I went to school. Once, Brock caught me singing Summer Nights into my hairbrush whilst bouncing up and down on the bed. 

After that, he teased me for days by calling me, Sandy

As much as I despised it, I can't help but wish the relationship we had still existed. Its depressing how one minute you are close to someone and the next...your not. 

"So today is going to be about auditions for roles. Normally I would allocate roles to everyone but I want to see your potential." She includes. "So for all of you who want a main role in the play - which involves singing - you will be auditioning." 

That makes sense I guess. You don't really want the main characters to be played by people who can't sing. I'm not being mean or rude to the people here who can't but are great at acting but it just wouldn't work.