"Unless it's a boy?"

Carla pressed her lips together "if it's a boy we'll just have to try again then then won't we"

"Why are you doing this? I want the truth" She asked in a small voice

"I need a brave heir, one that can take over as leader when I die and if I waited for you to make the decision to have a child yourself then It would've been to late... I intend to raise my grand daughter to take over some day it's something that I should've done with you while you were still young... your child will be my second chance"

"Why didn't you just have a second child"

"I tried...I can't have anymore children and besides your child will be safe her father is the highest ranking officer we have ever captured and as idiotic as the men are I highly doubt that man will risk his own daughters safety"

The young woman let out a breath and wiped a stray tear from her cheek "my child's father is-"

"Ruthless, powerful, strong, brave everything your not but it's okay my dear daughter, your child is our second chance"

She let out a shaky breath and nodded her mother kissed her forehead and smiled "that's a good girl now go to bed you need to stay healthy for your child"

"Of course mother"
***
By her calculations she was now 8 weeks pregnant and her baby was big enough to see clearly on the ultra sound.

She was the only midwife there so she knew how everything worked and she had to do a ultra sound on herself.

When she was 13 she'd seen a woman go into labour and she hadn't known what to do amd she hated seeing people in pain.

so she'd read lots of books and Googled a lot of things so she was now a fully trained midwife, pedatrtion and nurse all at the age of 19.

Her mother had insisted she'd be by her side when she did all the scans.

The first scan proved that the baby was perfectly healthy.

The second one... proved she was having twins.

Not that she told her mother or anyone this.

It was bad enough her mother already had plans to groom and make her child in her imagine but if her mother only knew of, one of her babies she could keep at least one of them safe at least.

Some how.

Right now she wasn't sure what to do she was scared for herself and her babies.

At 16 weeks she finally found out the gender of the twins.

And her obvious sigh of relief and tears of joy when she found out at least one of her babies was a girl stoped her mother's constant watchfulness over her.

"I'm having a daughter" she cried happily

She didn't miss the evil smirk on her mother's lips as she walked away now satisfied with her daughter for the first time.

But her mother did miss her tears of sadness when she discovered the other twin was a boy.

1 week later she ran.

She'd been secretly packing supplies for weeks incase one or both of her children were boys.

She escaped in the middle of the night armed with books and pocket knife she'd had since she was 10, she'd found it in the woods she'd also found some caves near a stream at the very edge of the women's borders where no one went.

She'd packed two bags one filled with food and a lighter to start fires she also packed medications and antenatal vitamins she was going to be living in a cave so she was going to make sure her babies were as healthy as possible.