the hunting game

You stared at the pendant with a frown and crossed your legs as it hovered in front of you. The pendant glowed feint a white, providing the only source of light in the dark abyss.

"That was a close call." The pendant stated. You nodded in agreement. "Two more hours and you would have failed this trial." You nodded again. You then looked down.

"That pain I felt during those twenty two hours. Tell me, what would have happened if twenty four hours had passed by?" The pendant glowed softly in the dark.

"You would have died." Your eyes widened.

"W-what!? But I thought you said that-" The pendant moved towards you, cutting you off.

"I stated that if twenty four hours had passed, then you would have failed the trial. There are many ways to fail this trial. One, you would have changed the story line. Two, if you were found out. Three, if you died. Careful Y/n, you've cut it close a lot of times. I've decided to be generous and give you some time off from the trial." Your eyes widened.

"What do you mean?" The pendant glowed brighter.

"When you awaken, you will have found that a month has passed." You gasped. An entire month!? You took a step forward.

"B-but what about-?"

"They've gone through with their lives as if you were never there. But the moment you awaken, their memories of you will return." You looked down in shock. You then shook your head.

"Wake me up now. WAKE ME UP NOW!" The pendant glowed a bright blinding light, allowing you back into the real world.

You gasped and sat up straight. You then looked around the room and spied all of the medical equipment. 'Am I....in the hospital?' You wondered to yourself. You looked at the bedside table and saw your pendant. You grabbed the pendant and slipped it onto your neck. Cursed thing. You then looked at the date. It was a school day.

A heavy weight was placed on your shoulders and you fell back against the bed. You felt utterly exhausted for some reason.

"Is this because of my slumber? Maybe I'll sleep for a bit longer...." you mumbled and let your eyes flutter shut.

"How could you have forgotten that she was in here!?" That voice, it sounded like Alejo's. Suddenly, the door was slammed open and multiple footsteps rushed into the room.

"Hey! You also forgot that she was in here!" Abercrombie? You then heard someone sigh.

"Come on guys, knock it off." That must have been Kennedy. You then felt someone grab your hand. Your eyes snapped open and you sat up with a start. You then turned to see Astro with a relieved look on his face.

"You're awake!" Astro exclaimed and he hugged you. You stiffened in his hold. You then smiled and patted him on the back. As you looked behind him, you saw that the rest of your friends were on the verge of tears. They then rushed towards you and enveloped you in a tight group hug. You felt their warm embrace and your eyes widened. Suddenly, the tears wouldn't stop.

"We were so worried!" Kennedy admitted.

"Yeah! You were out for an entire month!" Abercrombie exclaimed. You acted surprised as you separated yourself from the group hug.

"Really? I must have slept in." You joked. Astro looked down as he started to shake. You looked at him with a look of confusion. "Astro?" Your eyes then widened when Astro looked up with tears in his eyes. You didn't realise that he could cry!

"You definitely slept in...for way too long!" Astro cried as he hugged you again. You blushed as he tightened his hold on you. You then chuckled.

"Oh come on, what's with the water works?" Astro nuzzled his head into your neck. Your blush deepened. "Okay, um, can you please..."You stopped when you saw the others shake their head. Alejo then grabbed a note pad and a pen and wrote something down. You squinted your eyes to read it. It read 'Astro's been restless ever since you wouldn't wake up. Let him stay like that a little more.' Your eyes widened as you glanced down at Astro who had his face hidden from your view. You  sighed and smiled. You then hugged him back.