|13|

Italics = Sign-Language
(Also image me spouting out this conversation alone in my room because that's what I did to come up with this chapter 😂 I claim all rights to being an absolute dork 👍👍)
——

I may be deaf, but sarcasm seems to be traveling right now. Roman glanced down at Virgil, slowly releasing his leg with a flushed face.

Yeah? Virgil stared up at the ceiling.

Yeah. Roman kept his eyes on Virgil, ...What did Tom say?

Why does that matter? Virgil looked at Roman, bitterly.

I don't know, maybe because you just stormed out of my room like someone had just- I don't know... Roman's face was etched with sadness as he was still unable to see Virgil's face, only his signing hands.

You don't know? Virgil scoffed out loud.

All I know is that you're upset, what did Tom say? Roman repeated, getting frustrated.

Even if I told you it's not like you could actually listen, could you? Virgil could feel tears sting at the corners of his eyes, touching the bruised and bloodied up portion of his face.

There was silence for a moment with hands as neither boy moved them to signal back, and then...

Get out. Roman sighed the two words quickly and bitterly.

Excuse me? Virgil lifted his eyebrows.

Get. Out. I don't need this right now. Go call Patton, or Logan or- go call Tom if that pleases you, just get out. Roman's hands shook as he signed this.

Virgil was quiet before sitting up, Whatever. He looked at Roman who looked at his face in horror. Virgil simply glared, By the way, thanks for fucking up my face. Virgil drew his legs to himself before swinging them over the bed and getting up.

Roman watched him go, starting to get up to follow the other and successfully doing so, grabbing his shoulder, "I know you're angry..." Roman struggled to try and make clear sentences, "And I know you're angry a...t me...but you can't..."

Virgil lashed his head around.

Roman was now able to get a clear view of his face, it was painfully scrunched up as Virgil was fighting back a few slipped tears that turned red as they ran over his face. Roman choked on his words, he couldn't bring himself to speak, Did I...that?

Yep. Virgil bit his lip as he still glared.

Is that why you're mad? Please, I'd much rather talk that continue this cycle of arguing and slamming the door, we need to communicate.

Virgil didn't respond, he simply stared at his feet.

Talk to me, please.

I can't. Virgil looked embarrassed as he trained his eyes on Roman's hand that he was signing with.

Why?

I want to...be able to be strong for you, honestly. Virgil hated admired things like this, it made his heart twist in an unpleasantly-vulnerable way.

Virgil...you shouldn't have to do that.

But I want to- I have to- I need to. Virgil felt his heart-rate pick up.

No you don't, you just need to be strong for yourself not me...

But it's my fault...Virgil's eyes reflected guilt.

What is?

Virgil shook his head and slowly retreated to his bed, sitting down on the edge of it.

Roman followed carefully afterwards, sitting down beside him, leaving an inch of space between them.

I should have been quicker, if I hadn't slipped on the ice then I could have taken the beating, then I could have saved you...

Virgil, no- you-

No, stop- just- the whole reason you went to fight Tom, or rather the reason you did fight Tom, was because he hurt me...if I had just not told you then-

Then we wouldn't be boyfriends. Roman finished with his own view.

Virgil stiffened at this view, clenching his hands into shaking fists beside him.

"Virgil..." Roman put his hand over Virgil's fist.

Virgil looked to Roman quickly, this being the first time the other boy had ever said his name without stuttering since he lost his capability of hearing.

If it means being deaf for us to be together right now like this...I'd go deaf again even if I was given a second chance. Roman smiled gently.

I don't deserve this, or you. Virgil shook his head.

Yet, here we are. Roman rubbed his thumb over Virgil's knuckles.

Virgil slowly took his hand away, shaking his head, No, seriously...look at us we're just...

Broken. Roman bit his lip a little in dismay.

Exactly.

Can't we be broken together though? Roman suggested.

Virgil didn't respond for a little before sighing and looking at Roman.

Roman soon lifted his head to look at Virgil too.

You're crazy. Virgil smiled slightly, shyly.

Sometimes life is insane...but crazy I know I can do... Roman smiled back.

'Cause crazy is perfect, and fucked up is perfect. Virgil's smile grew.

So I can be perfect, Roman leaned towards Virgil, placing a hand on his leg.

Virgil looked at Roman's face that was mere millimeters away from his.

I can't.

Roman furrowed his eyebrows as he sat backwards a little.

I can't...be perfect, ever, I can't.

Virgil.

No, seriously, I can try, but I can't.

In my eyes you are.

It's things like that that you say that make me feel like you're just saying it to make me feel better... Virgil scratched at his leg awkwardly.

Every word I say is true.

How can I believe that?

Roman began to sign, but stopped, looking troubled.

Virgil shook his head, How can I believe that everything I've put you through that you can still love someone like this?

Roman's eyes widened as his heart twisted in pain.

I just...Virgil's hand shook too much to continue signing.

You can believe because...well, I've been practicing...

Virgil glanced up at Roman's eyes, cocking his head.

I've been trying to perfect it- and maybe this isn't the right time, I know we just...blew some blows to the heart here, but I need you to believe me that, "I love you, Virgil."

Virgil stared at Roman in absolute disbelief.
He hadn't heard him say that for a year...not without stuttering or stopping mid-sentence.

And Virgil believed Roman.