|12|

Virgil slammed the door to his room shut before stiffening up. He regretted every single action he had performed in the last fifteen seconds. He had yelled at Roman, wether he could hear him or not, physical actions of anger were still visible, he had let Tom get under his skin and now...

This was all his fault.
Tom had gotten into his head
...but he was right.

If Virgil had just been quick enough...if he hadn't slipped, maybe he could have taken the beating, maybe then he could be deaf and not Roman, or maybe none of this would have happened at all and it could have been avoided...he just...

Virgil slumped himself against the door and slowly sunk down until he had just knees to his chest with his face in his palms, groaning, "It's not fair..." His breathing began to pick up and he slammed his fists against the door on either side of him, "It's not fair!" He cried out before returning his face to his hands, "I didn't mean for this to happen- I tried to save him! I really did! I just..." Virgil folded his arms over his knees and rested his head on them, "I didn't get there fast enough...I couldn't..."

A small voice in Virgil's head whispered against his positive thoughts, But what if you could have...? It's your fault he's this way, you crippled him...

"It's just not fair." Virgil's voice cracked before he groaned; However, his groan was cut off when he began to hear quiet sobs come from the room he had just exited, grabbing hold of his attention.

Virgil knew that it was Roman crying, who else would it be? His inner demons? Nah, those guys were always sobbing.

Virgil flinched as the sobbing got louder.

Roman might have been deaf and unable to speak properly, but from what Virgil could tell, he could sure as hell cry.

Virgil hesitated to get up, he felt guilty walking in there...not after his realization...it was his fault Roman was deaf and it always would be, he sucked, it was that simple, he didn't deserve to he the one to heal, making it out with some fractures, an easy fix of a few months, Roman's was permanent, and for whatever reason, here he was, still loving Virgil and- did he love Virgil?

...He loved him enough to know that he was upset when he stormed out, why else would he be crying?

Oh god.

Roman never cries- I've really fucked this time, way to go Virg-

An earsplitting scream echoed from the room and Virgil was instantaneously on his feet, turning on his heel and trying to turn the knob of the door, though his hands shook too much for him to get a good grip.

Virgil forced himself to stop for a moment and take a deep breath, allowing his jittery hand to relax for a moment, a moment in which he took the opportunity to jab his hand forward at the knob and seal it tight in his grasp before slamming the door open.

What he found shattered his heart.

Roman was in a curled ball on Virgil's bed, clinging to Virgil's teddy bear for dear life while twitching every few seconds between sobs, in which he gasped for breath.

Oh my go-

Virgil hadn't seen Roman this vulnerable since...honestly, since Tom.
Once again, the provoker of this negativity was Tom, what a surprise.

Virgil shook his head quickly, shutting the door behind him and quickly making his way over to Roman; he wasn't quite sure how to handle this situation as he looked at Roman.

Their eyes met...but it looked like Roman was looking past Virgil, like he couldn't see him.

Virgil signed Roman's name.
No reaction.
"Roman?"
No reaction.
"...Roro?"
No reaction.

Virgil hesitantly sat down on the edge of the bed and reached a hand to touch Roman's back, and while Virgil thought this was helping at first, he was soon proven wrong as Roman let out a small gasp and tossed Virgil's bear to the other side of the bed, causing his fist to drive right into Virgil's face.

Virgil let out a pain-stricken yowl as he gripped his left eye, feeling something wet and sticky coming from his nose as he felt his face and realizing that it was bleeding. He looked around quickly before spotting his tissue box on his bedside-table and grabbing a tissue, ripping off a corner and balling it up, sticking it up his left nostril and trying to stop the bleeding, gasping as he realized a drop had fallen onto Roman's cheek.

This seemed to only further upset Roman as he cried out for help and began patting the bed as if looking for something.

Virgil looked around frantically before spotting his bear, assuming that's what Roman was looking for. Virgil slowly and carefully began to crawl over Roman to reach the bear, however, midway through getting over Roman he let out a high-pitched shriek as Roman grabbed his thigh, causing Virgil's face to go completely red at the other boy's actions, he tried to move but only managed to get Roman to hug the back of his knee as he seemed determined and quickly latched on tighter to Virgil's leg.

Virgil groaned before slowly laying down on the bed, his face my Roman's knees that were drawn to his chest and his leg close to Roman's face where he was contently hugging it as he began to calm down.

Virgil moved to lay on his back as Roman continued to hold onto Virgil's knee. Virgil's face was still hot and he figured it would be until Roman let go, but no matter, Roman seemed fairly happy, and that's what mattered at the moment...Virgil still felt quite terrible, but laying beside Roman seemed to make up for part of that.

Virgil was also happy that it seemed as if his leg was a comforting object. That was a strange sentence, Virgil realized as he thought it over in his head.

Virgil assumed he'd be laying awkwardly like this for quite awhile considering Roman really did enjoy getting his beauty sleep, however, he was soon proven wrong as Roman let out a small gasp and their eyes met, both looking utterly embarrassed.

"...Sup..." Virgil articulated before clearing his throat awkwardly to himself.

"...Is...this...y...or...leg?"

"...Well, I should hope so."