21

For Jonah, sleeping rough was so much harder than he expected. Firstly because it was so cold, and secondly, a man tried to steal his bag when he was sleeping.

Jonah woke up with a start to many adults chasing a man who was holding a bag. He looked down at his own, finding it wasn't there. The man had stolen his bag.

"He's a boy!" Someone screamed.

"give it back to the poor kid!" Screamed another. Jonah stood up in shock. He didn't know what to do.

"Robber!" People were screaming and trying to get the bag back. The police arrived just as one of the people grabbed the bag off him. He returned Jonah's belongings and the man was arrested.

Jonah couldn't sleep after that. He did sleep though. He became nocturnal, locking himself in a bathroom on the edge of the park where he knew none of his stuff would be taken.

Daniel came to see the boy every day, always finding him in the same spot.

"Jo?" He asked, grabbing the teens attention. Jonah nodded. "Why are you always here and in the same clothes?" Jonah sighed. This was one thing that he was kind of scared about Daniel finding out.

"I ran away from home." He replied. Daniel looked at the boy, before pulling him into a hug. His phone started vibrating. Daniel picked up and answered the video call. After a while, he put his phone back in his pocket.

"Come home with me." He said standing up.

"Okay?" Jonah said, following the boy on the short walk to his house.

"Mom, this is Jonah." He introduced.

"Hey darling!" She said, pulling him into a hug.

"Hey!" Jonah said before Daniel pulled the older teen up to his bedroom.

"You're such a fun person to be around," Daniel told the older teen.

"So are you," Jonah replied. The two boys chatted for a bit longer before Daniel's phone vibrated again. He looked at it and his face fell.

"What's wrong?" Jonah asked the worried teen.

"My friend..." He stopped.

"What?" Jonah asked.
*trigger warning*

"He says he's going to kill himself." Jonah sat still, in shock.

"You need to go and stop him." Jonah said. Daniel knew he was right.

The two boys thundered down the stairs. "What's all The noise for?" Daniel's mother asked.

"Mom quick we need to go and see Jack." His eyes were full of panic and his hands were shaking like crazy.

"Why?" His mom asked as they walked out to the car.

"He's attempting to kill himself." Daniels mother was quick to drive them to the boy's house.

The arrived and Jonah realised who Daniel's friend was. He ran to the door and banged loudly. "JACK!" He replied, getting no answer.

Daniel was surprised at the way the boy was acting; almost like he knew who his pen-pal was.

"JACK!" Jonah screamed again, banging on the door, harder.

Daniel went to see if the backdoor was unlocked, finding a window open.

He ran back to his mother and Jonah and beckoned them to the window.

The two teens climbed through the window, Keri, Daniel's mother, deciding to stay back.

"JACK!" Jonah screamed again, walking round the house, looking for the boy.

The pair walked into the kitchen, finding him, finally.

Jack was laying on the floor, pills, pill rappers and pill boxes spread sparsely around him. Jonah screamed.

Both boys had tears streaming out of their eyes, not having seen anything like it.

With trembling hands, Jonah pulled his phone out of his pocket, and called 911. The ambulance arrived and took Jack away to the hospital.

Jonah and Daniel rushed to the hospital in Daniel's mom's car. "I thought he was better," Jonah choked between tears. "I thought"

They never found out what he thought, because the car collided into three others and the air was filled with painful, ear splitting screams.