Chapter 23

19th August

Ruth was whisked away early that morning by Melissa, Evie, and Alyssa, while Tom crashed the flat to make sure Noah was ready on time. Ruth got to Melissa’s, and breakfast was handed to her as she walked in through the front door, still clad in her pyjamas. Melissa giggled as Ruth tipped her coffee over her dry cereal, as she had since one of her university flat mates had introduced her to double speed breakfast. As soon as she was done with breakfast, she was whisked into the bathroom for a speedy shower, washing her long brown hair and removing any trace of sweat or grime from her body. She dried as the doorbell went off; Sarah coming to do Ruth’s hair and makeup. Ruth appeared at the top of the stairs in her Mum’s dressing gown, and smiled at Sarah as she headed down the stairs, brushing her knotty, wet hair. Sarah smiled up at Ruth,

                “You ready for me to sort your hair out?” Sarah asked, smiling. Ruth nodded and headed down the stairs and led Sarah silently to the kitchen, where Melissa stood.

                “Hey, Sarah, want me to sit in while you sort my eldest out?” Melissa asked. Sarah nodded,

                “Yeah, you can see what I’m doing then.” Sarah smiled, her whitened teeth gleaming. Ruth sat down on the small steps that lurked in the corner of the kitchen until Ruth had pulled them out. Sarah got her things out and slowly trimmed the bottom of Ruth’s hair, shaping it to the shape that Ruth had had it cut since she was 16, only longer each time. Ruth smiled as Sarah began to blow-dry her hair before braiding the front to the back and curling the bottom half. Flowers were pinned into the braid and Sarah moved on to Ruth’s face as the doorbell rang. Abbie and one the hairdressing students from school, Tillie, who was doing the bridesmaids hair, walked in.

                “Dining room, please ladies!” Melissa instructed and the three bridesmaids headed into the dining room to have their hair played with. Abbie’s hair had grown out long enough to braid, past her shoulders, curling like her brother’s had when he’d gone through the mop of hair phase, though she kept her side-fringe straightened. Tillie began on Abbie, doing a thin French braid down each side of her face, and bunched her hair up at the back, holding everything together with hair slides. It didn’t take anywhere near as long as Ruth’s had, but it was designed to be plain and simple comparatively to make Ruth the centre of attention on her big day. Evie and Alyssa sat still while their hair was played with, before they each did their subtle, natural-looking makeup, but dark blue eye shadow. By 11am, Alyssa and Melissa were buttoning Ruth into her dress, and everyone else was already dressed, though John was struggling with his tie. At 11.30, the car, a limo, drove up and the driver knocked on the door, and everyone climbed in. Ruth clutched her bouquet of flowers nervously, her eyes flicking around her extended family. They pulled up to the church, Melissa rushed inside to get everyone seated and the organ began to play. First, Abbie, then Evie, the Alyssa, walked down, and finally, Ruth and John. Noah looked at Ruth in what could not otherwise be described as awe. His hazel eyes glimmered a tear, a tear of happiness, but he blinked it away, smiling at his bride. John placed Ruth’s hand in Noah’s and sat down next to the bridesmaids.

                “We are here today to celebrate the union of Noah Edward Hardy and Ruth Charis Anthony.” Mitchell began, talking right up to the I do’s. As they whispered those infamous words, the look within their eyes was one of utter love and truth.

                “I, Noah Edward Hardy, to take you, Ruth Charis Anthony, to be my lawful wedded wife, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, for better, or for worse.” Noah whispered. Ruth whispered the same, just swapping their names around. They kissed gently, softly, their first public kiss. They headed from the church and got into the limo, Ruth’s hands shaking. Noah clutched them,

                “You okay, Ruth?” Noah whispered, Ruth breathed slowly before looking up in her new husband’s eyes, smiling.

                “Yeah, just, breathe.” Ruth smiled. Noah rested his forehead against Ruth’s,

                “Yeah, just breathe, and it will all be alright.” Noah promised.

                “Yeah, because you’re stuck with me now.” Ruth erupted in giggles.

                “New house this evening too.” Noah chuckled.

                “Flight tomorrow.”

                “Holidays.” They both laughed. “I can’t believe you actually married me.” Noah breathed in amazement.

                “Neither can I.” Ruth teased. They both laughed. Ruth lifted her head away from Noah’s for a split second and retreated into the corner of her seat. She shook a little for a second before smiling at Noah,

                “Sorry. That happens sometimes.” She whispered. Noah smiled kindly at her.

                “I remember.” He whispered. She smiled kindly, thankfully at him.

                “You’re amazing, you know?”

                “How so?”

                “Despite the side effects of my condition, you still married me.”

                “Ru, I’ve known you 23 years, of course I’m gonna love you and all your little quirks.” He chuckled. They pulled up outside Cockhaven Manor and climbed out; walking to the room they’d booked for the meals, hand in hand, smiling in awe at one another.

****************

A/N

Honestly, I did not make Cockhaven Manor up! It's an actual pub/restaurant near me. There's also a village called Cockwood, make what you want of that! But please, please, please vote/comment!

Meggieissi xxxx