Chapter 17

“Considering my brother bought that, I am very surprised it’s this pretty.” Abbie said as she admired the ring on Ruth’s small finger. Noah just chuckled to himself at his sister’s comment.

                “He’s so adorable though.” Ruth smiled, looking up at her fiancé. Noah kissed the back of her head as he held her tight, his arms wrapped around her torso.

                “You guys are adorable.” Abbie giggled. The front door opened and Abbie rushed to the doorway.

                “Mum. Mum. Mum… Noah proposed!” Abbie shrieked. Ruth covered her ears; Noah placed his hands over hers to prevent Ruth having an attack. Jessica hushed her daughter’s squeals,

                “Ruth and loud noises, Abigail.” Jessica reminded her daughter as she hung her coat up. Noah walked into the hallway and smiled at his mother,

                “You two here for dinner?” Jessica asked,

                “Ruth?” Noah asked,

                “Are you sure, Jessica?” Ruth asked,

                “Of course! It’s pizza night tonight; no cooking.” Jessica smiled. “So, let’s see the ring, I assume my son did get you a ring?” Ruth nodded and lifted her left hand, which still felt strange from the ring which fitted perfectly onto her dainty finger. Jessica nodded in approval.

                “Good choice, young man.” Jessica complemented. “Have you told your parents, Ruth?”

                “They won’t be home yet, but I did text Mum saying I had a surprise for her.” Ruth giggled. Jessica nodded.

                “Did you get a reply?”

                “Not yet.” Her phone in her handbag erupted into song; Noah answered it for her, and handed it to her. It was Melissa.

                “Hey, Mum!” Ruth beamed as she spoke.

                “So, what’s this big news?” Melissa asked.

                “You at home?”

                “Yes, why?”

                “I’ll be over there in five. I’m having food over at Jessica’s.” She hung up and beamed at Noah before looking at Jessica. “Mum’s home so gonna go over there now. I promise we’ll be back by six.” She smiled her bewitching smile. Jessica nodded.

                “We’ll wait for you two either way.” Jessica smiled. Noah and Ruth headed from the house and headed down the road and around the corner to Melissa and John’s house. She knocked on the door and Melissa answered, pulling her daughter and nearly-son-in-law inside.

                “Please tell me that your news isn’t that you’re pregnant.” Melissa begged.

                “No, Mum, don’t worry. Noah proposed.” Ruth said, far too calmly for her mother to realise exactly what her oldest daughter had said. About two seconds passed.

                “You’re engaged?” Melissa whispered. “And you didn’t have an attack?”

                “Mum, I haven’t had one in nearly a year.” Ruth laughed. “I’m learning and moving on happily.”

                “That’s wonderful sweetheart. When and where?” She pulled her daughter and Noah into the lounge and sat them down on the sofa.

                “Earlier at La Bonne.” Ruth giggled.

                “You’ve turned my daughter into a woman, Noah, and you better treat her well.” Jessica warned. A car pulled up on the drive and John walked in. Melissa shot up and kissed her husband’s cheek as he walked in.

                “Ru’s engaged.” She whispered. John strode in,

                “So, Noah, after, what, 23 years, you finally popped the question.” He chuckled.

                “Yeah, I guess so. I hope this is all alright with you.” Noah spoke politely to the man who had liked and disliked him all through his life; being most hated during year 9 and 10 when everyone goes off the rails for a little, unless you’re Ruth, and you have a bubble that no one other than Noah could come into.

                “Noah, you’re a good lad and Ruth trusts you, but if you hurt her in any way, I will break you.” John threatened.

                “Dad.” Ruth warned. “I’m old enough to know what, or who, I want. And you’d have to be blind to know it’s not Noah; it’s always been Noah.” John nodded.

                “I know, but I don’t want him to hurt you.”

                “Dad, I know, and he never has before.”

                “Three years ago, Ruth?”

                “Dad, he has done more in the past year to get me out of my shell than you, or Mum, or Evie, or Alyssa did in a quarter of a century!”

                “Fair comment.” John sighed. Evie plodded down from her room.

                “When’s the wedding?” She asked,

                “No idea, but I’m gonna need bridesmaids.” Ruth giggled.

                “We have plenty of sisters for that.” Noah chuckled.

                “Spring or summer?” Melissa asked.

                “Probably next summer, not this one. Everything’s so pretty in June and July.” Ruth smiled, looking at the slowly greening foliage out of the window. Noah smiled.

                “Yeah, this summer is far too soon.” Noah agreed.

                “And you have the single best planner in the history of the universe. Ruth’s amazing at that stuff.” Evie giggled, far too excited at the prospect of becoming bridesmaid for her big sister.

**********

A/N

Spot the intertextual reference, I dare you! Comment what you think it is! It's a reference to one of my other works! Thank you everyone who's read this so far, 'Untouchable' is currently #941 in the General Fiction category! I know that's pretty far off the top, but I've never had that before! You guys are awesome! Please do vote and comment whatever you think of this! Feedback is utterly amazing to me!

Meggieissi xxxx