Chapter 11

It had been a month since Noah had moved in and things were progressing as slowly as ever. It was one day, subbing in again for James Wilson, as he was off with something pathetic, as ever, and got lumbered with Evie and Abbie.

                “What are you doing here?” Abbie asked snidely, glaring at her brother.

                “Sorry, Abbie, you’re stuck with me today.” Noah sighed, unlocking the door and walking in. Evie just stared at him.

                “You’ve changed my sister.” She said loudly as she headed past Noah.

                “He’s tapping your sister?” Damien Temple, a mouthy but smart boy asked.

                “No, but I’d be impressed if they get that far.” Evie giggled. Abbie slammed her books down on her desk and glared at Evie.

                “Eva, shut the fuck up.” Abbie snapped. Noah smirked a little at his sister’s remark, though he knew their parents would be appalled.

                “Abbie, shut up!” Noah shouted.

                “Sorry, Mr Hardy.” She called,

                “Everyone, sit in your seats. I know you guys are used to Mr Wilson being off sick, and I know it’s the last week of term, so I am going to let you watch a film since Mr Wilson hasn’t set me any work for you guys.” Noah shouted over the raucous sounds of 17-year-old teenagers. There was a resounding yes, the sound of satisfaction. He went through his files and loaded Burke and Hare. The class was quiet while the film played. Noah’s phone buzzed in his pocket. It was a text from Ruth.

                What time do you finish today? She asked.

                4pm, as ever. Noah smiled as he sent the text. Abbie watched him and laughed a little to herself at the fact that her brother was in the most untraditional relationship ever, but he was happy, but to Abbie, he’d never been normal for as long as she could remember. The lesson ended, the class left, but Abbie lingered with her brother while he logged off.

                “Do you get shit from Evie often?” She asked cautiously. Noah looked up at his sister.

                “What do you think?” Noah asked sarcastically, laughing a little. “She’s so defensive.”

                “Yeah, but she’s worse with Charlie.” Abbie sighed.

                “I never got the pleasure of teaching Charlie.”

                “You’re lucky.” Abbie sneered, laughing.

                “I have to go to teach the year 7’s. Do you have a free next?” Noah said, holing the door open for his sister. Abbie headed out.

                “Yeah, I need a break from my clowns. Is it okay if I help out?”

                “Go for it, we’re doing cells.” They headed downstairs and saw the line of 30 year 7’s, 11- and 12-year-olds, looking at Noah and Abbie walking by and making rude, and snide, remarks.

                “She your girlfriend, sir? You dating a sixth former?” A mouthy, small, kid, shouted.

                “No, she’s helping out today.” Noah said, letting the chaotic class in. Abbie sighed, walked to Noah’s desk and dumped her bag and jumper under it.

Ruth sat in her flat, waiting for the familiar sounds of Noah getting home to meet her cochlea.. He was later than normal, so she guessed he’d hit traffic. Finally, she heard his key in his door and the familiar click of the latch, and his smart leather shoes click across the wooden floor. She smiled, waited another ten minutes, and walked across the hall and knocked. He walked over in his boxers, as ever, today’s navy socks fallen around his ankles, and his toothbrush in his mouth to remove the stench of the leftover garlic bread he’d eaten for lunch. He smiled at Ruth and let her in before heading back to the bathroom. Ruth smiled, admiring her view of him. She sat down on the sofa while she waited for him to dress in his jeans and a t-shirt. He came out of his room and sat down next to her, resting his arm behind her and began playing with her wavy brown waterfall of hair. She looked at him and smiled. He smiled gently back. She rested her head on his shoulder, her face almost touching his. He smiled and chuckled.

                “Someone’s feeling intermit tonight.” He whispered, smile beaming at his girlfriend.

                “Abbie text me saying Evie and her friends were being dicks.” She whispered, “But yes, I feel adult today.” Ruth spoke shyly. Noah chuckled and hugged her tight, her legs looping over his. She kissed him. Their lips touching gently. Noah pulled away slowly.

                “Thank you.” He whispered, smiling, beaming, as he looked down at his favourite person in the world. She just smiled and blushed, looking up at him before making their lips touch again, making their lips move in sync, tongues touching, moving past one another in the passion which had been growing for the past 22 years, yearning for the other for the past two after the confusion last time they kissed. And both of them found it magnificent.