Chapter 22

18th August

Ruth woke early; her last day of work before the three week honeymoon in Cyprus. The second her alarm went off she hit ‘off’ and moved silently from Noah’s warm grasp. She made breakfast, dressed, and was out of the flat before Noah had even begun to stir from his slumber. She parked in her spot at work, walked into her office, and saw a small present wrapped on her desk with a card underneath it. She picked the card up and read it.

A small gift for you before you go down the aisle. Millie xx

Ruth smiled, placing the card next to her computer as it booted up. She opened the small gift to see a box inside. Inside the box was a small, silver necklace, one of Millie’s that she had bought and decided she didn’t like. Ruth appreciated it, and she had always admired the delicate red rose and it’s stalk that hung from the chain. She placed it around her neck, it hung alongside Noah’s necklace perfectly. The rose wasn’t conventional either; it was the side-on view of it, not the typical front view that everyone knew of.

Ruth logged on and smiled to herself as she began her last day of work for three weeks. By lunch, she was far too excited about the wedding. A few of her colleagues that Ruth sat with at lunch had been invited, all had said yes, but they all knew they’d all been invited out of politeness more than anything as Ruth would constantly babble on about the wedding. Ruth sat with them that lunch, that Friday, and giggled as she ate her rolls.

                “You look so excited for tomorrow.” Felicity, the youngest at just 24, with pale blonde hair, blue eyes and porcelain skin, giggled as she saw how excited Ruth was.

                “I’ve dreamed of tomorrow for my entire life. I even have my dream dress.” Ruth beamed,

                “Can we see?” Daisy, a black-haired brown-eyed 30-year-old asked, she was kind and naïve, but a gentle person who understood Ruth, mostly.

                “Nope, you have to wait until tomorrow, like everyone else.”

                “Your parents have seen.”

                “No, Mum and the bridesmaids have.” Ruth giggled,      

                “Your Dad hasn’t?” Felicity asked,

                “Nope. Mum won’t let him.”

                “And Noah hasn’t?” Poppy asked, she was a strong-willed but gentle dark skinned woman with a beautifully braided afro.

                “Nope. The dresses all live at my parents.”

                “Is John walking you down the aisle?” Daisy asked,

                “Of course.”

                “Who’s best man?”

                “Noah’s best friend, Tom. They work together.”

                “He’s a teacher too?”

                “Also in physics.”

                “You guys are gonna have brainiac kids.”

                “Hopefully, if I can bare that. The idea is a little iccy at the moment.” All four of them laughed.

                “Having Ginny was terrifying.” Daisy said, “So weird feeling her grow in me.” Ginny was four, and not a day went by that Daisy didn’t fail to mention her at some point.

                “Exactly. But I get along well with kids once they’re in a routine.” Ruth smiled.

                “Do you think you will have kids?” Poppy asked.

                “Probably. Noah’s always wanted kids. I guess we will one day. Even by accident.”

                “That’s the attitude.” Daisy giggled.

                “I’m just so excited for tomorrow though.”

                “I can imagine. The first of us to get married.”

                “You were the first to have a kid!” Felicity pointed out.

                “And Jayden hasn’t made an honest woman of me yet!” They all laughed.

                “I’m sure he will one day.” Ruth smiled kindly.

                “I can’t imagine he will. We don’t have the money.”

                “Do it small style.” Felicity suggested,

                “Like Ruth.” Poppy added.

                “Maybe, unlikely though.” Daisy sighed. The idea of Ruth getting married was really getting her down, simply because Jayden hadn’t even proposed yet, and they had a four-year-old.

Ruth got home that evening to see Noah spread out across his sofa, lying on his side watching some film on his Raspberry Pi. Ruth dropped her bag where it always went and smiled at him, jumping over the sofa and cuddling him tight.

                “Good day?” Noah asked, kissing her nose, then cheeks, then forehead, then finally lips.

                “I’m free for three weeks!” She giggled.

                “Yes, yes you are.” Noah chuckled. “And tomorrow you’re stuck with me for life.”

                “Not if you get stuck with me first.” She giggled. Noah kissed her gently.

                “Nah, you’re gonna be stuck with me.”