Chapter 13

Evie and Charlie cuddled on the sofa while Alyssa wandered around the house on her laptop. She looked at her sister and her girlfriend and couldn’t help but crack a smile. Alyssa could see the bigger picture of her family: Ruth was the chaotic one; Alyssa was the brain box; and Evie was just there, four years younger than Alyssa, not incredibly bright, but not stupid, she was merely average at most things, so it was easy for Alyssa to why she felt so left out of the family. She headed back up to her room and turned her laptop off. She lay down in her bed, Ruth’s old bed as Alyssa and Evie had shared before Ruth had finished university, and Alyssa had got Ruth’s room, the smallest of the three bedrooms, just big enough for a single bed, a desk, and a wardrobe, along with a teenage-sized mess. Alyssa’s phone rang, it was Abbie. Everyone got along with Abbie and Noah; always had. The families had once teased at Ruth and Noah would end up married, and Alyssa and Leon would, before Leon had got terminal, when there was still hope for him, but that had been stripped when the pair were just six years old,

                “Hey, Abbie.” Alyssa said as she answered her battered old phone.

                “Hey, Lyssa, what are you and Evie doing today? I’m bored and Noah’s on holiday with your other sister.” Abbie complained. Alyssa just chuckled at the girl who was virtually another sister to her.

                “Evie has Charlie over, but I am willing to get out of here. What do you wanna do?”

                “Are there any good films on?”

                “Not really. I can see if the twats wanna go bowling or something?”

                “Sure, better check with them though. And my parents left me dosh to get me outa the house.”

                “Will do.” Alyssa swung her legs off her bed and headed downstairs.

                “Do you girls wanna go bowling? Mum put some money on my card to do something while they’re at work. Abbie’s got money too. Though Charlie, I haven’t got enough for you too.”

                “Have you invited Beau and Yasmin?” Evie asked. She turned to Charlie, she nodded and smiled, her bright blue eyes shimmering.

                “Do you want me to?”

                “Yes.”

                “You can call them then.” Alyssa lifted her phone to her ear. “Come over and bring your money. Evie and Charlie wanna come too.” Abbie chuckled and the line went dead. A few minutes later, the doorbell rang and Alyssa let Abbie in.

                “Are you two ready to go?” Alyssa asked her sister and Charlie. The couple stood up and Evie ran upstairs to get her trainers. Charlie just leant in the doorway, flicking her dip-dyed blue hair behind her shoulders.

                “Do not mess with my sister.” Alyssa warned, growling a little, threat riddled in her normally kind voice. Charlie’s blue eyes seemed startled.

                “Look, I appreciate your sister; I can’t exactly screw her. It’s just a phase with her to try and get her attention. When she’s bored I’ll find someone else.” Charlie sighed.

                “You can tell?” Abbie asked, a little amazed that Charlie could tell.

                “Yeah, she keeps on about how much it’s bugging your parents. You can tell she’s doing it to annoy them.” Charlie sighed. Evie appeared at the top of the stairs and beams down at the girls. She scurried down the stairs and rushed out of the front door as Alyssa located a pair of socks and her trainers. Alyssa looked up at Abbie.

                “Where are all your school bums?” Alyssa asked, bums referring to friends.

                “Ryan’s in America and the rest are working or being nocturnal.” Abbie sighed. Alyssa nodded, completely understanding how Abbie felt. She’d had similar problems when she was in Sixth Form.

                “Has anyone even looked at train times?” Evie asked, head popping back through the front door.

                “Yeah, there’s one in ten.” Abbie smiled. They headed out of the door and around to the train station, all buying tickets. Alyssa’s phone buzzed as she waited for Charlie to buy the ticket. She opened the message, a photo from Ruth.

                “It’s not fair. Look how sunny it is in Newquay!” She showed the photo to Evie. Evie groaned and looked up at the overcast grey sky.

                “How can be so sunny just about 100 miles away and so grey here?” Evie complained.

                “It’s England, of course it’s gonna be miserable here.” Charlie grunted.

                “What’s up with you, Char?” Evie snapped.

                “You’re just using me to get at your parents.” Charlie snapped, walking onto the platform and over the bridge to the train slowly approaching the platform. The others chased her, Evie grumping the entire way, almost missing the train.

                “What do you mean; I’m using you to get at my parents?” She hissed, staring at her girlfriend.

                “It’s obvious: Ruth is autistic; Alyssa is a genius; and you’re just Evie, not like your sisters. You just want some attention off your parents.”

                “Liar. I really do like you.” Evie snapped. Charlie rudely sniggered, snorting,

                “No you don’t. I can tell you don’t.”

                “How?”

                “Because you keep going on about how much our relationship pisses your parents off.” Evie looked at Charlie in shock. Charlie’s voice became quieter and softer. “This is the end. Sorry.” The train pulled in to the next stop and Charlie stepped off, leaving Evie standing there, shocked and amazed at the fact that it was Charlie that had walked away from her, not her walking away from Charlie.