44

4 more Chapters

BettyJonesx i love how you are the first to vote on all my books. thank you so much for that💗

MAYA POV

The taxi began to pull off towards Anne’s house and Lucas insisted on staying on the phone with me the whole time. I told him that he could go back to work, but he told me that he wanted to make sure that I was in fact going back to his house. The background noise coming from his end was loud with music and jovial chatter from the bar and I’m shocked that he could hear anything that I had said to him.

“Glasses?”

“I’m still here.” I wasn’t saying much. So much weighed on my mind and this kind of feels like Lucas doesn’t trust me, not that I’ve given him much reason to.

“Are you okay? You’re kind of quiet.” I smiled when he asked me the question that I always seem to have to ask him. He seemed annoyed when I called him at first, but now he’s calm. It’s his second mood shift in five minutes.

“I’m fine...Are you okay?”

“I will be when I get off work. Everyone is an obnoxious tosser tonight. I’ve already taken two pills.”

“Are you still mad at me? You’ve been getting mad at me a lot recently.” Glass broke in the background and shouting followed the noise.

“Hang on.”

I can tell Lucas took the phone away from his ear to go take care of whatever problem had just broken out and I began to fidget with my fingernails, wondering if I should tell him about the discussion Smackle and I had on my way to work. I want him to know, but at the same time I feel like it would cause so many more issues than the ones that are already on our plate. Lucas said that what happened over the summer shouldn’t matter, but something about Peyton is dancing on my nerves and the more I try to forget about it and count it as a petty act, the more it bothers me.

“Maya, yes I’m still mad at you, but my mum said something to me earlier that made some type of sense so I’m gonna deal with us in a different way...”

Lucas trailed off and I became curious as to what he meant. Just when I was about to ask him what she said, the taxi stopped in front of his house. I felt nervous. I’ve never been in the house before when it was just her and I and I don’t know what she’ll say when she comes to the door and Lucas isn’t with me. I took a deep breath and got out my wallet to pay the taxi driver, before I pushed my messenger bag up my shoulders and got out of the car.

“I’m here.”

“Okay?...You’re just standing there aren’t you?”

“No.” I lie as I switch hands, putting the phone to my other ear. There are two cars in the driveway and it makes me more nervous.

“Walk up to the house and ring the doorbell, glasses. My mum isn’t going to bite you or anything. You guys have had conversations before.”

“Yeah Lucas but you were always around or close by at least, this is different.” I can hear him chuckle in my ear and the sound makes my heart warm; I absolutely love it when he laughs.

The background noise has lessened and I know that he’s gone in the kitchen of the pub away from the bar. I move uneasily on my feet as I start to walk towards the door.

“Did you even tell her that I was coming over and staying?”

“No. I’m sending you over there and she has no clue. When you ring the doorbell she’ll be afraid and call the police, because who rings doorbells anymore at ten thirty at night? The police will come and take you away all because you’re there when I’m not and my mum will hate you forever. Yes she knows you’re coming, stop being a spaz.” I rolled my eyes before I replied as I went up his front steps.