18

MAYA POV

I looked down at my phone and rolled my eyes at the message that I got from Peyton he still hasn’t got the hint and he continued to text me. I won’t keep it a secret from Lucas this time. He has to know. I ‘m afraid of how he will take it seeing that we are just now getting back on track, but it was secret keeping that hurt us in the first place. That and the fact that you slept with him. My conscious kicks me in the face again as if I haven’t suffered enough from my mistake. I have half a mind to call Riley to see what I should do, but it was her who steered me in the wrong direction in the first place. I scroll through my contacts and land on Peyton’s name to squash this once and for all. He answered after two rings.

“Maya? I hoped you would call. How are you do-”

“Cut the bullshit Peyton! Why do you keep on doing this to me?”

“What do you mean? What did I do?” I hate his innocent act and it does nothing but piss me off more. I sit in my bed at the hotel and roll my eyes skyward before I respond to him.

“Peyton, you’re full of shit! At the seminar you told me that you think that Smackle told and you honestly think that I would want anything to do with you after that. She’s my friend and she’s supposed to be your friend too. I know that’s a lie because she had no clue about it when I told her.”

“I’m not lying Maya! Smackle had been jealous of you for a long time. You and Lucas were just fuel to add to her fire. She had tried to get in as intern under Dr. Baker before. She told you that didn’t she?”

“Yes but she-”

“Did she also tell you that she would come back to me and tell me how you didn’t deserve to be an intern under Baker because you were falling behind in the assignment she had given you? I guess we know why now, but still she did. And why do you think she quit her internship? Yes, Dr.Vanlavret was an ass, but he would have still gotten her a job the same way he did for me. You were doing everything Smackle dreamed of doing. I love Smackle, and she is my friend, but what she did hurt you... It wasn’t right Maya.”

Peyton talked so fast and as much as I would hate to admit it, Smackle did seem kind of jealous sometimes when I would tell her about what I would be working on with Dr. Baker. I try to shake the thought, but really it’s just stored in the back of my mind.

“Peyton-” He cut me off, but my voice didn’t come out as harsh as it did a minute ago.

“Maya just give it some thought. I know it’s hard, but I know you see the logic in it...How is your wrist?”

“I’m fine...they’re fine.” I feel confused and unsure of myself after Peyton talks so fast and fills my head with the idea that my ‘friend’ set me up for sabotage and I lose my train of thought. There was a reason that I made this phone call.

“How did that happen? It’s a pretty awkward spot to get a bruise...were you arrested?” Peyton chuckles and I can’t help it when I chuckle to myself humorlessly.

“No Peyton I didn’t get arrested. I was...” I stopped myself before I told him. I don’t know why I even feel the need to explain myself or anything with him. I called him to cut this off for good. As long as I want Lucas, there can be no friendship between Peyton and I and right now I’m sure I don’t want one.

“Then someone did that to you. Who did it Maya?...Was it Lucas? Are you seeing him again?” I feel anger rise simply because of the way he say’s Lucas name.

“That’s none of your business Peyton!” I snap at him this time but he continues to talk as if we’re having a normal conversation.

“It was him wasn’t it? Maya he should never touch you that way. That’s never okay to be so rough with a woman.” His voice raised slightly, but his tone was laced with concern as if I’m in an abusive relationship and I need help to get out of it.