5

LUCAS POV

I was up at seven this morning dressed and ready to go when the nurse brought me my discharge papers. I signed them and when my mum pulled up I walked out and got into the car. She hugged me and kissed me lingering on my cheek for too long. I’m not in an affectionate mood, but I know why she’s acting like this. It’s my fault but it’s still annoying.

“Okay mum! Okay, that’s enough!” Her eyes flashed with hurt, and she blinked quickly before going back to her side of the car.

“Lucas, I’ll kiss you if I like! I almost lost you and you’re my baby boy.”

“I’m nineteen.”

“Still my youngest, still my baby. As a matter of fact give me a kiss as well.” I rolled my eyes and gave her a small peck on the cheek causing a smile to cross her lips. I turned my head to try to keep from catching her infectious grin because I’m still annoyed, but I can feel my lips tug in a smirk for a few brief seconds before I force it away.

“Can we leave now please? Or are you gonna force me to do something else that I don't want to do while we sit here for another hour?” Her smile is gone.

Way to go Lucas.

She puts her hands on the steering wheel and puts the car in drive when I notice it. The sunlight reflects off of the engagement ring on her finger that wasn’t there before and shines in my eye. I have to bite my tongue and turn my head to look out the window to calm my nerves. Why does she have to push my limits so early in the morning?

“We’re going to finish helping Gemma unpack her things in today and then I’ll take you to session.”

“We’re?”

“Yes, you’re going to help.”

“Just drop me off home first I need to shower anyway. I’ll meet you there. And I don’t need you to take me to session. I have a car, I can drive myself!” I’m curt with her and I stare blankly out the window watching cars as they passed. Anything, but looking at the symbol of impending doom that fits smugly on her ring finger.

“Mm, I think its best that I take you.” The fuck it is. I love my mum. I do, but she will not follow me everywhere every time she has the chance.

“I can go by myself to session and meet you at Gems flat alone. I won’t try and drive myself off the road on the way. I promise.”

I grin slightly at my sadistic joke trying to make light of a fucked up circumstance and I see her eyes glaze over. Even if she was thinking of dropping me off home first and letting me meeti her at my sister’s house, that thought is long gone now.

“I’m just joking mum. Don’t start crying.”

“Don’t joke like that anymore Lucas!” She turns the wheel of the car causing the diamond to reflect into my eyes again and turn my head to look out the window clenching my jaw. Anger starts to stir and I realize I need my meds to put them under some type of control. My meds or her, she’s the only one I’ve talked to about my concerns with my mum’s wedding and after I would tell her about it, I my anxieties would somewhat settle.

When I take out my phone, I have ten new messages all from her and I delete them all except for one particular voice mail. She sounds as broken as I feel in it, but then again she can’t feel that bad. She obviously didn’t feel bad when she was fucking someone else. I’ve never felt this way before and it may be my ego, but I don’t think anyone has. It confuses me, I love her and I hate her at the same time.

When we pull up to Gemma’s place, there is a red Audi parked in the front drive. Since Gemma doesn’t have a car yet, there’s only one person that this can belong to.