58. A Change of Heart

Start from the beginning

I got off the train and walked two more blocks. My eyes were blurred from all the tears but I kept on walking anyways. I should get myself somewhere fast before I could no longer stop myself from breaking down.

My house never really came to mind. It's never been home for me. For the first time, I have found a safe haven for myself but it turned out to be a place I don't wanna be in anymore.

I finally reached my destination and knocked on the door.

Jennie opened it herself and the sight of her gave me the cue that it was now alright to cry my heart out.

I burst into sobs as she put her arms around me and welcomed me in.

"Tell me everything."
________________________________________________

Three days later

CINDY'S POV

"They lined me up for volleyball when I couldn't even get the ball past the net."

"Me too. I'm on the chess team. I haven't even played a single game my entire life."

"We're doomed."

"Fuck this sports fest."

"How about you Cin, what game have you been listed on?"

"Hey."

"What's wrong with her?"

"Cin!" Celine clapped his hand right before my face. "You've been wearing that blank face for days now. What the hell happened?"

I looked straight at the person who's caused this and he was giving me a death stare. I'm sure he had killed me in his thoughts a thousand times. I looked away and shook my head.

"Nothing. I'm just tired. That's all."

I glanced over the pod where Rozie is. She was absent for three straight days and I know why exactly. She looked like she hasn't slept at all and that Jennie never left her side since she came in last night.

I need to talk to her. But how?

And just in time, she left the pod and went straight to the restroom. This is the chance I was asking for. I jumped off my seat and trailed behind her. I gazed at Zach and he had his eyes on me again. I recalled that moment in his condo when he almost choked me to death. I'm gonna be dead if they don't get back together.

I entered the restroom and waited for Rozie to come out of the cubicle. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and saw the dark circles around my eyes. I haven't gotten to sleep myself. The marks of Zach's grip on my neck were still present. I had to wear a scarf for days now. Good thing my fashion statement worked out to be the best excuse to wear one.

You're such an idiot Cindy. You dug your own grave. If you could just stay in your zone and let them be, you wouldn't have a death threat right now.

The doorknob to the cubicle turned and she was out. She looked surprised to see me and I lost my tongue for a moment. If she'd drag me onto the floor and beat the hell out of me, I'd totally understand. But she didn't. She made her way out the door.

No. No. She has to know the truth.

"Rozie!" I called out.

She froze on the spot and turned to face me. Coincidentally, no one was present other than the two of us. This is a very sensitive issue and if others knew, I'd might as well find another workplace.

"He's wasn't lying to you. It was all me. He had nothing to do with it. I wanted him to hook up with me again so I made up a lame excuse to come over." She was just staring blankly at me. I'm not even sure if she heard a word I said.