32. On the other side

ROZIE'S POV

It's 1 in the morning and I swear I could hear my bed calling my name. Just one more push and I'm on my way to dreamland. I looked at the time on the screen in front of me and I still have 4 more hours left. How can this be? I've already done so much but time seemed to be running at 0% speed.

I could feel my eyes getting heavier and heavier by the second. The sound of the murmurs from the production floor and the non-stop clattering of the keyboards begin to fade away. I could imagine myself laying on a hammock, constantly being swayed by my dad as he sings to the melody of his favorite Bee Gees song.

When I was a kid, he always sings the song 'How deep is your love' at home and even in the car. I'm not a fan of the '80s but with him playing the album over and over, I've learned to appreciate why he loves them so much.

Back then, people write lyrics with immense thought and precision. Nowadays, it's all about how catchy the beat is and the number of curses the singer could cuss in one line. Let me give you one example.

Then:

"I know your eyes in the morning sun
I feel you touch me in the pouring rain
And the moment that you wander far from me
I wanna feel you in my arms again"

Now:

'He want that cake-cake-cake-cake-cake
Cake-cake-cake-cake-cake
(Bet you wanna put your name on it)
Ooh, baby, I like it
You so excited
Don't try to hide it
I'ma make you my bitch
Cake-cake-cake-cake-cake
(Bet you wanna put your name on it)
I know you wanna bite this
It's so enticing
Nothing else like this
I'ma make you my bitch'

Ha! See?

"Zie. Zie."

Dang!

I jolted upright almost tumbling over. Someone decided to slam the stapler at the back of my seat. Jesus.

I glared at the culprit beside me, the stapler still in her hand.

"What?!" She said so innocently. "I was calling your name several times... and the guard's about to pass by so unless you'd like to have a home-based job, better keep those eyes open," Jennie said as she placed the stapler back on my desk.

"Shaking my shoulder would have been so much better Jen!" I closed my eyes in annoyance, my heartbeat still racing in my chest. I looked at the time, 1:10?????? Ten minutes?? Seriously!

"Give me some coffee. I'm dying here.."
I grabbed Jennie's tumbler on the station next to me.

My coffee tolerance has increased through the years of being on the graveyard shift. But drinking too much during my working hours would also mean staying awake extra longer by the time I get home.

Call center life it is!

"Oh! Oh! Oh!"

I almost choked on the coffee.

"What?! I hate it when you do that!"

"I can't believe this!" She was clasping the phone to her chest, her eyes all teary-eyed in excitement.

"GDA is coming to Manila!"

I instantly lost interest. I don't even know what she's talking about.

"Aren't you going to ask me what GDA means?"

"Don't you still have work to do?" I rolled my eyes and started to check on my emails.

"GDA stands for Golden disk awards. It's a music award-giving body in Seoul."

The mention of the word sent chills down my spine.

"And Manila is hosting the event right here. Right here!" She started stomping her feet on the carpeted floor.

"Shh..." Our colleagues hushed her off but she just stuck her tongue out.

"I wonder who's gonna be on the line-up. lemme see. Lemme see... Day 1.."

She mumbled the list of people or groups that were expected to perform on the said day. I've never heard of an awarding event that takes 2 days to finish. How many awards are there to give anyways?

"Day 2. Blackpink. Red velvet.. BTS..oh!"

BTS.

My heart skipped a beat.

Breathing suddenly became so hard to do.

I feel like I was choking on my tongue.

They're.

Coming.

Here.

I could feel Jennie's eyes burning on me.

I looked at her. What the Fudge spelled across my face. For a moment, we were just staring at each other not really knowing what to say. 

Then she asked.

"You wanna go?"

To be continued...