6. Let's Go To The Beach

Start from the beginning

"So, how's school?" Uncle Tom awkwardly asked me a few minutes later.

"It's fine," I answered as I pushed myself back up and dug my toes in the sand.

He nodded. "Do you have a favorite subject?"

He already knew the answer to that question. School is pretty much how all of our conversations start. "I don't really have one. They're all pretty much the same," I responded with a shrug.

"My favorite was always math, but I enjoyed history most of the time too."

I nodded, the awkwardness already settling around us. "Yeah, history's not too bad."

He nodded--yet again--and looked out to the water. A few seconds of awkward silence ensued before he asked, "So, how are you and your girlfriend doing?"

I felt the usual anger stirring up at the mention of Mackenzie, though--I hoped--I said nonchalantly, "Oh, we broke up a few weeks ago."

"Oh, I'm sorry. You seemed really into her... And she was a good friend of your's wasn't she?" He sent me an apologetic look.

Yeah, she was one of my best friends, then she cheated on me with some random asshole and broke my heart.

I clenched my fists into the sand, the feeling of the cool grains filling my hand calmed me slightly. "Yeah...she was."

I hoped he would get the hint that I didn't want to talk about this, and, thankfully, he did by swiftly changing the subject. "Have you watched that show I told you about, yet?"

"The Good Doctor?"

He nodded and replied with an excited smile, "Yeah, you like it?"

"Yeah, it's amazing," I replied.

It might even be better than ANTM.

"I told you." He grinned smugly, then he turned back to the water, apparently realizing that his kids were wrestling under the water. He jumped up and started yelling at them as he made his way down to the water.

I laid back down on my towel and focused on relaxing. I could honestly fall asleep right here, just laying on the soft sand in the sun. Especially since I was tired as hell.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

I reached up to grab the football sailing at me. I felt the soft leather just graze my fingertips before it slipped out of my grip and continued flying through the air. I heard it plunk down in the sand somewhere behind me, and I heaved a disappointed sigh.

Andy and Uncle Tom cheered (as they're on the other team), but Drew scowled at me. "Oh, come on. That was such an easy catch," Drew growled.

"It would've been if Dad didn't throw it so high," I shot back.

"I would've caught it."

I felt my heart skip a beat at the familiar voice that came from behind me. Why is my heart skipping from Leo's voice?

I turned around to see Leo standing there, our football in his hands. He tossed the ball back and forth while smirking at me.

I scowled at him as embarrassment set my face ablaze with a flush. "That's because you're actually athletic, where I'm obviously not."

Leo stopped in front of me, the ball halting in his hands. "I never said I was athletic."

His bright, hazy blue eyes had turned to a beautiful icy blue, and they were twinkling with mischief. A big, goofy grin was plastered on his face as he easily tossed the ball back to Drew, who then--just as easily--caught it.