Chapter 37

Lucas and Jackie immediately stepped up to be the family Ben had always wanted.  Ben quickly recovered and was back on the field and Lucas made sure to make every one of the few remaining football games.  Jackie switched as many shifts as she could to make as many home games as she could manage.  It was nice for Jenna to have a warm safe place to go to when her grandmother would cast her out.  She even came over to help Jackie out when Ben wasn’t around.

 Jenna and Jackie got close over the next couple of weeks.  Jenna had even opened up about what had happened to her before she had moved here.  She was relieved to finally have someone who she knew that she could talk to.  Jackie also found comfort in talking to Jenna about her past as well.  There is always an extra comfort in talking to somebody who knows what you had gone through.

Jenna started to feel guilty that she still hadn’t told Lena or Paul about what had been going on.  She finally felt as if she was getting her life under control even though that consisted of her bunking with her boyfriend at his brother’s place.  It was another night that Jenna had been kicked out of her house when Jenna and Ben were sitting on Lucas’ couch watching television.  The place was quiet.  Jackie and Lucas went out to eat dinner.  Jenna got up to get something to drink.  When she came back she turned to Ben.  “I want you to meet my grandmother.”

To say Ben was taken back was an understatement.  “You want me to meet your grandmother?”

Jenna smiled and nodded yes. 

Ben was hesitant.  “Don’t you think that’ll make it worse?”

Jenna smiled and shrugged.  “I don’t care.  You are my boyfriend and you are important to me.  I’m not going to pretend you don’t exist.  She is going to kick me out regardless.  I minus well at least be honest with her.”

“What about Lena are you going to be honest with her?”  As welcome as Jenna was in their home Jenna still felt that she was too young to be sleeping over at Ben’s place so often, so she had been lying to Lena to have another place to stay.  Sometimes Jenna lied to just stay over at Lena’s or she had Lena lying so Jenna could get her way back into her grandma’s.

Jenna took a sip of her soda.  “One drama at a time Benny.  One drama at a time.”  It had been a few weeks since their world was turned upside down and Jenna wanted to tread lightly.

“Can we at least make out one last time before she murders me?”  Ben said and reached out for her hand.  Jenna nodded her head yes and with that he kissed her.

The next morning they got up and they got ready for school.  They left Lucas and Jackie’s early and stopped at the gas station.  They went into the store to get something for breakfast when Kelly came busting through the doors.  Jenna had to jump back to get out of the way to prevent from getting hit.  Kelly didn’t even look back.  Jenna went back to the freezer to get some ice cream and met Ben at the front.  As the cashier tossed a pack of cigarettes onto the counter Jenna picked them up and made a face.  As soon as they got back into Ben’s car and headed towards the school Jenna turned to Ben.  “I think that you should quit smoking.”

Ben ripped the cellophane around the pack off with his teeth and slid a cigarette between his lips.  “Oh yea.”  He lit it and smirked between puffs.

“Yea.   I kind of like you.  I want you to stick around for a while.  Besides, I think that since I technically saved your life I should get a say.”  Jenna crossed her arms in front of her attempting to look intimidating.    

Ben looked over at Jenna in earnest.  “If you tell me you love me I’ll quit.”

Jenna couldn’t believe it would be that simple.  “Really?  Is that it?”