Chapter Twelve

Annabelle's POV

My mouth dropped open with disbelief. I blinked a few times, trying to see through the tears. Marcus was staring at me, a slight pink tinge on his cheeks. His fierce blue eyes held so much passion it was shocking. He had always seemed to be the kind of guy that kept things to himself, yet he had said those three words most men dreaded after only a week of knowing me.

"What?" I said lowly, trying to think clearly. My spinning head, pounding heart and rapid breathing were making it rather difficult to think.

"You heard me. I love you, Annabelle Williams. I love you more than I've ever loved anyone, and I know we've only known each other for a week, but I feel like I've known you forever. I also know that I want nothing more than to help heal your wounds. You can't do it on your own, and I will be there for you every step of the way, Annabelle." He spoke with such conviction, his old soul eyes staring into my young ones, that I felt like we were in the movies. My heart throbbed, an unpleasantly fascinating feeling that was completely new. My stomach felt like it was being twisted, a squirm inducing feeling that made my toes curl and my face turn a brilliant shade of red.

"Really?" I asked, disbelief laced in my voice.

"Really. I love you with every fibre of my being and I always will." The dark light from the grey skies cast dramatic shadows over his face, highlighting his steep cheekbones and high brows.

I smiled. For the first time in years, I beamed with happiness, my chest threatening to burst open. My cheeks felt like they were going to split, but I didn't care. I wrapped my arms around Marcus's broad waist and pressed my face against his warm chest.

I could hear the fast thump of his heart against my ear, like a rabbit stomping it's foot. His thick arms went around me and I felt him smile against my hair.

"I love you too Marcus." I whispered into his rib cage, right over his heart. He shuddered lightly, his ars tightening for a moment.

"Good, because you're stuck with me now." I could hear the smile in his voice and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Damn, I was so hopeful." I teased, pulling out of his embrace. Rolling his eyes, Marcus flicked my forehead lightly.

"Rude." He grumbled, a playful glare on his face.

Yet again, we were interrupted by the waitress, who was becoming increasingly annoying. She collected out empty plates and went to fetch the bill.

"We gonna head back to the pack house?" I asked Marcus, stretching in my chair. I felt like I might explode, from all the emotions and, of course, pizza.

"Sure, you should catch up with Noah." He said.

"Yeah, I suppose so." I huffed, dread replacing the happiness. I wondered how Noah would take the news of me telling Marcus. It would be hard for him to accept that Marcus is my mate, but it would also be hard for him to accept the fact that Marcus knows about the abuse. It would bruise Noah's ego to admit that he let someone abuse him for years, as well as the obvious fear that Marcus would reject me. Noah had Alpha blood, which was why he was so big and why he could so easily challenge Marcus.

"Quit thinking so hard, it's making me nervous." Marcus grumbled, pulling a few dollar bills from his wallet.

I frowned, "You don't have to pay-"

"Yes I do, now be quiet and think about make up or whatever girly stuff you think about." He muttered distractedly. 

"You'll find, young Marcus, that I am not a usual girl. Make up doesn't interest me. Pizza and ice cream, on the other hand. Those subjects are fascinating." I said, standing up.