Chapter Five

Annabelle's POV

I stood, shivering next to Noah. It was completely dark, the stars the only light provided. There were hundreds of people stood in front of us, which was not helping my nerves. I probably should have dressed warmer. I wore black skinny jeans, a maroon knit jumper, brown boots and a maroon beanie. Most wolves wore coats, except a few of the larger wolves who didn't feel the cold as much.

Marcus stepped forward and hushed the crowd. He held a strange knife in one hand. It was curved slightly inwards, its silver metal gleaming. It was simple but beautiful. I couldn't really focus on that though. Marcus wore faded blue jeans and a black hoodie which hugged his muscles perfectly.

"Noah Williams will join our pack first." His powerful voice echoing around the clearing. Noah stepped forwards and took the knife off Marcus. He held it against his palm and cut diagonally across it, blood filling the crevices of his hand. Marcus did the same on his own hand. I winced slightly, my wolf not liking our mate to get hurt. I scolded her silently. Noah and Marcus shook hands, staring straight into each others eyes. They gripped a big harder than necessary, then Noah was back at my side.

"My mate, Annabelle Williams, will join us next." I slowly made my way over, nerves completely taking over. I could hear the gasps as people saw my face. I blushed and almost stopped, but I caught Marcus's eye. He nodded encouragingly so I shakily took the knife from him. Placing the knife on my skin, I breathed in deeply. Holding Marcus's gaze, I sliced the knife down. I gasped as blood trickled down my wrist. Marcus took the knife off me, still holding my gaze and held his still bleeding hand out. After a seconds hesitation, I took it. My eyes met his and for a moment, everything was silent.

Then there was a click. I could feel their minds- his mind. Feel their emotions. I stared up at Marcus, and for a moment longer, things were peaceful. All I could see was him, his eyes which had turned the colour of the night sky. I could feel his love, his fear, his nerves. He was just as scared of the mating as I was.

I blinked, not expecting it. I had always been taught that Alpha Marcus was ruthless, harming as many people as he possibly could. His quest for power, they said, was unstoppable. He was mateless, they said. After all, who would love a monster like him?

Me apparently.

Then the moment was broken. The pack started applauding, a few turning into wolves and howling. I blushed and stepped back, looking down. I can't feel like this. I can't let him get the better of me.

He's our mate. He won't hurt us. My wolf whispered, trying to reassure me. I frowned.

But what about mom? I replied, feeling her flinch. She went silent, obviously thinking of a new way to persuade me to accept him. I didn't even know if he wanted me. I mean, who would want a mate who looks like I do? Who can't even look people in the eye.

Noah's hand on my waist brought me back to reality. The crowd had started to scatter, leaving only a few behind. He started moving me towards his pick up, when a hand grabbed mine, yanking me from his grasp. I squeaked and went crashing into a rock hard body. I felt Marcus chuckle, the deep sound vibrating against me. I huffed, embarrassed, and avoided his gaze.

"You got your things?" He asked, his voice husky. I nodded, and grinned at Noah's face. He was frowning and pouting slightly. I reached forward and flicked his bottom lip. He slapped my hand away, grumbling. We had argued for about two hours, until he finally let me move in. I'm not sure why I even wanted to. My wolf was going nuts, telling me I had to. The logical side of me didn't though. Why would I want to move in with a guy like him? He had murdered whole packs in order to expand his empire. Our old pack had been close to war with him. He was also an Alpha. Like dad.