Chapter One

Annabelle's POV

I was sat in the front of my brothers pick up the first time I broke down. I had shed the occasional tear before, but not like this. Sobs shook through my body like earthquakes and tears cascaded down my face like waterfalls. 

I'm not sure what emotion caused these tears. Happiness? We were leaving, after all. Sadness? The memories I had of my crappy apartment were powerful, both good and bad ones. Anger? I had a lot of anger. I had my reasons, of course. 

My brothers door slammed shut, snapping me back to reality. He'd finished piling our bags into the back of the truck and had gotten into the drivers seat next to me. He wasn't crying. He never did when I was around, but I knew he did. I saw him rubbing his eyes at night, red rimmed and still watering. He had a hard look on his face, like he usually did these days. He started up the engine without a word and headed towards the highway. 

I opened my window and lent out slightly, letting the cold night air whip through my long blonde hair and dry my tears. Distant stars gleamed above me, but were still mainly blocked out by the harsh yellow light of the street light. Battered houses whizzed past, a blur of shadows and squares of light. There were few cars on the roads, and no one walking. I wasn't surprised though. It was only two o'clock in the morning. 

The air smelt crisp and cold and smoky. It wasn't polluted by the fresh car fumes that would be produced in a few short hours. Noah always called me a night owl because, even when we were children, I loved the night. I loved the sounds of the animals searching quickly for food. I loved the colours of the lights and stars. I loved the calmness, the coolness of the air, that was always nicer than the humid day air. 

I glanced at Noah now. His crystal blue eyes were trained on the road, his jaw clenched. We were similar, but at the same time, nothing alike. Noah's six feet and three inches tall, whereas I'm barely five. He's built like an ox and I'm built like a bird. We both have the same high cheekbones, square jaw and long black eyelashes. Noah has eyes the colour of water, crystal clear with specks of blue so pale they appear white. I have brown eyes, which I've always thought were incredibly dull in comparison. Noah has black hair and I have hair so blonde it's almost white. Mine's straight and Noah's is curly. I've always hated my hair and eyes together. They contrast too much, but not in the right way. We look like our father, and the thought makes me sick to my stomach. 

I've always thought Noah was gorgeous, and he is. I've been told I'm attractive too.I'm not bad looking, except for one thing. The scars covering my whole body. Huge sets of bite marks created a horrific pattern all over my body. Claw marks added to the dreadful artwork. The one I hated the most was on my face. Three claw marks started from the corner of my right eye, the top of my cheek bone and just in front of my ear, and the jagged lines finished just under my chin. 

"What are you looking at, weirdo?" He asked, chuckling slightly. I shrugged. 

"You need a hair cut." I commented, looking at his unruly hair piled on top of his head. He rolled his eyes at me and flicked my forehead gently with his huge hand. 

"Seriously? You want to talk to me about getting a hair cut?" He picked up a piece of my hair, which now reached past my waist. I shoved his hand away, a small smile on my face. He returned the smile triumphantly. I didn't smile much, and he always looked so proud when he forced one out of me. 

"Hey, leave my hair alone." I muttered, glaring at him playfully. He smirked and stuck his tongue out. "That's really mature, Noah. You really look like a twenty-five year old. Congratulations." 

"Quit being so grumpy and get some sleep." He rolled his eyes, turning his attention back to the road.

Our journey was long and boring. We wanted to get as far away from home as possible, so ended up driving over at least five states. We stopped overnight, and only when we absolutely had to. I'm surprised the truck actually made it that far. 

We drove until the sun was setting two days from the beginning of our journey. The last dot of the suns curve was disappearing, letting the stars light finally trickle down to earth and twinkle cheerfully. 

"We'll be staying in a hotel till the movers come tomorrow with our stuff." Noah muttered sleepily. I nodded, my eyes drooping. It was surprising how tiring sitting still could be. "God, my wolf is dying to go for a run..." 

I nodded in agreement. You see, our parents were werewolves. We turn into our wolves when we're thirteen. Noah found his mate when he was seventeen, and I loved her to pieces. She was tall, slim and beautiful, with blonde hair in a pixie cut and piercing blue eyes, her and Noah looked perfect together. She was joining us when we'd set the house up and would move in. I didn't mind. She was one of the only people I trusted other than Noah. 

I hadn't found my mate yet. And i wanted it to stay that way. After what had happened to me, I lost all trust for men. Noah was the only exception. I couldn't let anyone in. Not anymore. I knew that would change at some point, but I could still hope that someone was watching over me, and would give me something I wanted for once in my life. 

 No one would want me anyway. Who'd want a mate who was scared of her own shadow, and was as scarred as I am?