Chapter 4: As Mad as a Hatter

“Good morning, Mister Nigma,” Shar dropped her purse on her desk and sat down at her chair, typing away on her computer. She wasn’t quite sure if Edward could hear her, but she figured she may as well be polite to the patient.
“Morning, Doctor Simpleton.”
She glanced around the room, looking for something, anything at all that was different. Shar wasn’t sure why the Riddler was in her office last night, and she wanted to find out. How could she do so if the Riddler was watching her every move? She certainly didn’t want to raise any suspicions of her being Crimson X.
“So I heard that The Joker escaped last night,” Shar muttered. “What exactly happened? Do you know?”
“Of course I know, I am the Riddler after all, the one with all of the answers.”
“Please, do tell what the answer is, then.”
“Oh, he just escaped for something he’s planning,” his arrogant tone seemed slightly delighted at being aloof. “It’s nothing new. What’s strange is how his moronic girlfriend stayed behind. Though, I suppose that is also a part of the plan.”
“What exactly is the plan?”
“Tch, tch, Joker isn’t your patient, Doctor Simpleton. Speaking of which, have fun with Hatter.”
Shar let out a yawn. Staying up these past few nights was starting to get to her. Rubbing her eyes she looked at the time on the computer screen. Channing groaned seeing that in thirty minutes that Hatter, who thought Shar to be Alice, would be meeting with her. Becoming one of his previous incarnations of Alice wasn’t exactly part of Shar’s plan.
“Oh? Am I sensing a little apprehension towards one of the patients here at Arkham? I thought you said you had no problems with them here.”
“Just don’t feel like being murdered today, Mister Nigma,” Shar leaned back in her chair. “Maybe some other day, but not this one.” She tapped a finger on her desk in a sort of beat before speaking, “How have your Sudoku books gone?”
“Finished them.”
Shar laughed lightly, “I didn’t expect anything less from you, Mister Nigma. Good job. Would you like me to pick up something else for you this evening? A different sort of puzzle perhaps?”
“Crosswords will do.”
“Will do, Mister Nigma,” Shar crossed one leg over another, “Have you found out anything about Arkham City or a patient x?”
“No.”
Shar sighed and ran a hand through her hair. It was frustrating how very little she had to work with. Though, her exasperation would have to be put on hold as knock hit the door.
“Come in,” Shar glanced at the time. It was about right for Mister Tetch to come in.
“Hatter’s here,” Aaron Cash said as he pushed in a shorter male, about four feet, eleven inches.
“I see, thank you Mister Cash,” Shar uncrossed her legs and sat up straight, a smile aimed at Tetch. “How are you today?”
“I’m doing much better now that I can see you, Alice,” Jervis Tetch grinned at her. “I only wished I had my hat.”
“Your hat?” Shar questioned. She didn’t even bother telling him that her name wasn’t Alice, again. It just didn’t get through to him.
“Yes, my hat,” Jervis nodded violently. “It’s what gives control in that.” He pointed at his head.
“What do you mean?”
“Oh, Alice! If you get it back, I’ll show you with just a small whack!”
Shar chewed her lip trying to think of what it meant. She supposed it had something to do with the brain. Control? Is it some sort of mind control? He is known as that Mad Hatter, so whatever it is it must have something to do with his hat.
“What happened to your hat?”
“That rat, Sharp, took my hat,” he growled. That scowl slowly turned into a smile. “Strange said he’d get it back.”
“Strange…” Shar frowned. “Of course he would…Is he also your psychiatrist?”
“Oh yes, he visits by cell and talks to me.”
“Tch, hypocrite,” Shar’s hands clenched into fists.
“Does Alice not like Strange?”
“Not really, but we’re co-workers, so I’ll have to deal with it.”
Jervis stood up from his chair and walked towards Shar. She stood up in reaction and backed away from him. Jervis smiled up at her, seeing she was a good six inches taller than him. Shar watched him carefully as he messed with something in his sleeve.
“Strange gave me something and said that if I use it I’ll get my hat back.”
“It’s a knife, Simpleton!” Riddler’s voice sounded. He must have been watching the entire thing.
Shar ran towards the door and opened it quickly. Her adrenaline was pumping. She looked behind her seeing Jervis lunging at her. She dove out of the door way and into the hallway with a slight yelp.
“Guards!” She screamed. “He has a knife!” She looked around, where could they be? They were nowhere in sight.
A screech escaped her mouth as a knife was flung straight into her hip. Shar turned around seeing Hatter pulling the knife out and moving to attack again. With a fling of her fist, it collided with his jaw, sending him down to the ground. Shar walked over, a hand on her wound and knelt down. Her free hand pinched a nerve on his neck sending him unconscious.
“Simpleton?”
Shar stumbled into her office, blood gushing past her hand. Her vision was growing blurry as her hand reached for the telephone and dialed away. A bored hello answered the phone, but there was no reply on Shar’s end. Her head hit the desk as she passed out.
---Time Skip—
A dull beep sounded throughout the room. A sterile smell invaded her nose as her senses began to come back to life. Her eyes flickered open only to clench back shut from the intrusive light. Once the pain subsided in her eyes, she slowly opened them, using her hand to block some of the light. Sitting up, the woman gasped at a pain that radiated from her side.
“So the doctor is finally awake!”
Shar looked over to her left seeing a man in an orange jumpsuit, no doubt a patient here. She shook her head, collecting any memories she had and then smiled slightly.
“So you’ve been out of your cell more often, Mister Nigma. What brings you here? Do the guards even know?”
“Those Neanderthals can’t even notice a hammer to the head. I’m here, because you’re the only one who even bothers to answer my riddles anymore.”
“I see,” Channing nodded. “How long have I been out?”
“A few days.”
“A few days?” Her eyes widened. Could a stab wound really do that much to a person?
“You’re lucky it’s not permanent.”
“Permanent?”
“Death.”
“Oh, I see,” Shar sighed and ran a hand over her hair. She felt it move and she shot her other hand up to hide what was underneath her wig’s hair.
“Oh? What’s this?” Nigma stood up and harshly threw off her hands, which caused the blond hair to come cascading down. “A hair net?” He ripped it off of Shar’s head, making her crimson locks fall down. “Red hair?” He raised an eyebrow.
Shar blushed and looked away, “So?”
“Hmm,” Nigma smirked and sat back while tapping his chin. “I do recall something about a new person around here having crimson locks. Now what was her name? Oh yes, Crimson X. I can only assume they got it from patient X, of which you want me to tell you about if I hear anything about it. Am I right, Crimson X?”
Shar opened her mouth to speak and then shut it and looked over at him. She was looking for any signs that he would spill her secret. She couldn’t tell, he was unpredictable at times; with his mood swings and what not.
“You going to tell anyone?” She questioned as she fixed her hair back into the hair net and placed the wig back on.
Edward stood up and paced around the room – a habit he had so people would pay more attention to him – while he spoke, “Depends. You need to do what I say.”
“What would that be?”
Edward walked over to a bag that was in the room and unzipped it. He took out a glowing green item, “You need to hide all of these around Arkham. Here’s a map of where you need to hide all of them.” He handed her a trophy and a map. “Surely even someone with your level of intelligence can do something like this.”
“Why do you want me to hide these?”
The Riddler laughed to himself, a more sinister one at that, “When the clown gets back that bat will be here and it’s the Dark Knight’s job to solve my riddles. Though, he will fail.” He started to walk out of the room, “Oh, I almost forgot. The Dark Knight will surely need some assistance, so leave those maps lying around somewhere.”
With that he left, leaving Shar to look down in her hands that was one of his glowing trophies, only to hide it under her pillow. If she did this her identity would be safe. It’s not like hiding them would be all that bad, would it? She wouldn’t have to hurt anyone or break any major laws. Besides, it could help her get more familiar with the whereabouts of the asylum, it is such a large place and she’s really only been in one – well, two – buildings; intensive treatment and the medical facility.
“Ah, you’re awake!” Shar looked up to see none other than Bruce Wayne walk into the room. “I heard you were attacked by one of your patients, so I wanted to check to see how you were doing.”
“I’m alright,” Shar smiled at him. “Thank you, Bruce.”
“Do you know how Jervis even go the knife?” Bruce questioned as he sat down in one of the chairs. “That’s usually not normal for an Arkham patient to have.”
Shar bit her lip thinking back to the attack and slowly nodded, “He said that Strange gave it to him…He also said that Strange was going to give him back the hat that Sharp took.”
A look of panic flashed over Bruce’s face as he began thinking, “Strange must be…”
“Hmm?” Shar tilted her head slightly, “Strange must be what? I already know that he’s trying to drive me out of Arkham…Just wouldn’t think that way would be with dead.” She laughed lightly, “It won’t work, though.”
Bruce sighed, “Just be careful, Shar. These patients are ones to be taken lightly.”
“I know,” Channing patted her hip where she was stabbed. “I learnt my lesson already.”
“Good,” he stood up from where he was sitting. “Well I have to go. Wayne Enterprise is never sleeping. Get better soon, alright?” Shar nodded to him as he was leaving.
Just as Bruce walked out the door, a doctor walked into the room and checked her out; asking her how the pain and what not. After a few minutes, that seemed to last a life time, the doctor finally told her she could check out and to just be careful with the stiches that were in her side. All the while, she wondered how Bruce, the doctor, or anyone else for that matter, didn’t see Mister Nigma enter or assumingly leave the building.
---Time Skip: That Night---
Crimson X crawled through the ventilation systems in the Botanical Garden building. It was a rather nice place, she had to admit. The hardest part about it was trying to find her way past various obstacles, like the never ending pit of death. She mentally thanked Nigma that she wouldn’t have to go there to hide any of his trophies.
“Now how am I supposed to get up there?” She put her hands on her hip while looking at a blow out in a wall. Glancing around, she noticed a nearby tree. “That’ll do.”
X climbed up the tree. When the vigilante, and criminal accomplice, reached the top she took a deep breath. Her legs knelt down and sprung herself forwards. With a slight thud she inwardly cheered at her success. Taking the trophy out of the bag she had with her, she gently placed it down.
This trophy drop-off carried on for another hour or so. Once she had disposed of them all she dropped a map onto a table and began making her way back to the corridor. Though, her footsteps stopped at the sound of some voices.
“Remind me again why we’re filling this up with water,” a deeper voice grunted.
“Joker said he wanted it to be flooded while he goes ‘round spray painting stuff. If you start asking questions you’re gonna end up dead, got it?”
“Still don’t understand how he got us transferred here from Black Gate.”
“Oh, boys,” a voice sounded from Crimson X causing her to turn around quickly. “We have ourselves a little eavesdropper!”
“Joker,” Crimson X glared. “What are you doing here?”
“I should ask you the same thing, doll,” he giggled to himself. “Hmm? What are you doing?”
“Running some errands for Riddler,” she spat thinking that if she said she was working for another criminal it’ be the best chance for her survival.
“Oh, so you work for Eddie! That’s funny!” He laughed. Why? Crimson X had no idea. “Tell ya what, I gotta go. Places to be, people to kill, but I’ll let my boys play with you for a little bit.” The Joker began to walk away in his purple suit and all. “Have fun!”
Crimson X glared not knowing if she should try to attack him or not. No, he’s too dangerous and she doesn’t have enough experience, yet. Two thugs that were assumingly working for Joker, cracked their knuckles as they walked over to X. Their eyes were hazed over with lust, apparently raping wasn’t below them.
Crimson moved her neck from side to side as she cracked it and drew out her sword, giving it a few test spins. Her feet left the ground quickly as she charged towards the two men. The wood on the sword hit one of them directly on the head, rendering him unconscious. The other man wrapped his arms under Crimson X’s from behind. She struggled to get free as she thrashed about. Her eyes clenched shut as she felt some of the stitches begin to tear. Knowing she had to end this fast, Crimson X used her head to slam it against the attacker. He yelped and stumbled backwards as he held a hand over his nose. Crimson X round kicked him to the ground and then knelt down. Pulling him up by the collar of his shirt, she punched him the face.
“Nighty night,” she blew a kiss towards the two unconscious men and began to swim across the now flooded corridor with some of her blood leaking into the water.
---Time Skip---
A knock sounded on her door. She looked up and uttered a simply come in. A man, with a mustache that was graying, walked into her office. He held up a police badge that said ‘Commissioner Jim Gordon.’
“How can I help you?” Shar quirked an eyebrow and was silently hoping that Edward Nigma wouldn’t suddenly talk. He seemed to behaving so far whenever someone was in her office, but still.
“I just want to ask you some question on the attack,” Gordon spoke.
“Oh yes,” Shar motioned her hand to the chair in front of her desk. “Please, sit down.”
“Thank you,” Gordon smiled slightly. “It was Jervis Tetch that attacked you, right?”
“That’s right. He attacked me with a knife.”
“I see,” Gordon wrote something in a notepad he had with him. “Do you know where he got the knife?”
“He told me Professor Hugo Strange gave it to him,” Shar leaned back in her chair. “Strange doesn’t like me all that much, just wouldn’t think he’d go and try to kill me.” She blinked and looked over at Gordon. “Then again, Mister Tetch is a schizophrenic, so he may have just been hallucinating.”
“No matter,” Gordon cleared his throat, “I’d watch your back around Strange. Make sure there’s always someone with you. Was there anything unusual about the attack other than Hatter having a knife?”
“There were no guards near my office at a time, which makes believe that Strange did intend to kill me,” Channing twirled a pencil in between her fingers. “Luckily for me, Tetch won’t be my patient any more. I just have Mister Nigma for now.” She smiled slightly, “I don’t think that he’ll kill me as willfully as Mister Tetch tried to.”
“Still, make sure you watch him,” Gordon stood up. “That’s all I need for right now, thank you for your time, Doctor Channing.”
“Thank you, Commissioner Gordon,” Shar stood up to say goodbye and shook his hand. “Have a good day!”
Gordon muttered you too as he walked out of her office. Shar sat back with a sigh and stretched slightly. She let out a small gasp as she remembered something and opened her desk drawer as she pulled out a plastic bag. Her hand slipped in it and she withdrew a crossword puzzle book.
“I have your book for you, Mister Nigma!” Shar smiled at nowhere in particular. “Picked it up last night after I finished dropping off your trophies in the gardens. Which reminds me…Do you know what Joker’s planning? There were some Blackgate Prison thugs and The Joker at the gardens. He’s planning something, and I don’t like it.”
No response, nothing. What was going on? Did Riddler not go back to his cell yesterday? Of course not, Shar would have heard something about it.
“Mister Nigma?” Shar stood up slightly worried. “Are you there? Hello?” Nothing. “Hold on!”
Shar ran out of her office, her heels clicking loudly as she ran through the hallways. This time she remembered where she was going. Some of the guards looked at her in a confused way, but ignored it. She was just a doctor here after all. Channing looked around desperately just to see if he was somewhere else. Once she made it to his cell she peered in panting. He was in there, but he wasn’t awake. Shar banged on his cell door, hoping to wake him up. He didn’t stir at all.
“Damn it!” She cried and looked around desperately, “Mister Jones help!”
Mister Jones looked over and ran to her, “What is it?”
“He’s not moving, open the damn door!” Shar yelled at him as he fumbled with his keys and unlocked it. Shar quickly ran in and moved Mister Nigma’s shoulder. “Wake up, damn it!” Her hand moved to his neck to find a pulse, it was a weak one. “Get a doctor! Don’t give up on me Nigma!”
Tears started to build up in her eyes. Why was she getting emotional about this? He was just her patient. Surely she couldn’t have grown too attached to him, could she? She shook her head and focused on his breathing and heart rate.
“What’s going on?” A doctor questioned as they ran in and checked his vital signs.
“He’s not responding,” Shar shook her head. “Has he been monitored with the medicine I put him on?” There was no answer from any of them. “Damn it!” She screamed furiously. “Why the Hell haven’t you been monitoring him closely!? I put you under specific order to do so!”
“We need to move him to the Medical Facility,” the doctor picked up their radio. “I need a stretcher to Riddler’s cell pronto!”
“He’s going to be alright, right?” Shar stayed knelt down by the bed near Edward’s head.
“Yes,” the doctor nodded. “We’ll just need to monitor him is all.”
Shar sighed in relief and looked down to the ground. Her eyes widened as she noticed a small screen with her office. Slowly, she grabbed it and hid it in her lab coat’s pocket. She glanced to Mister Jones and the doctor and smiled slightly as they didn’t notice what she just did.
“That’s good…” Shar watched as two more doctors came in with a stretcher and carried Mister Nigma off.