Chapter 15 - Candy Man

Start from the beginning

"How are you feeling?" Kameela asked with concern evident in her voice as she noticed the weary look on her face

"I'm fine. Just a little bit tired."

"Aunty you should rest then. Let's go to my room." Kameela held her hand in attempt to pull her towards her room.

"No. I came here to see my wonderful children not to sleep. I'm going home after I leave here so don't worry yourself."

"Aunty are you sure?" Kameela raised an eyebrow at her aunt, waiting for her to submit to her will because she looked excessively fatigued.

"Yes I am. Where is Ismail? Is he still at work?" Kameela knew not where he was. She could guess that he was at work but she wasn't a hundred percent sure. They hardly have had a conversation since the night of his discovery. Kameela had tried to have a normal conversation without him walking away, hissing or behaving like she wasn't there but to no avail.

"He isn't at home." She pasted a smile and looked down at the abstract forms on her dress.

"Are you alright? Are you two alright? He did something stupid ba?" Aunty Khadijah turned her head more towards Kameela with a scrunched face.

"Aunty we are fine. Nothing happened." She raised her head to look at her aunt with the same pasted smile.

"How am I sure you're not covering for him?" Aunty Khadijah said slightly reclining back to dismantle Kameela's persona.

"Aunty I'm not." Kameela's voice went higher pitched as she waved both her hands at chest level.

"Let him come back. He'll come and meet me here." Not agreeing with Kameela, she placed her right forearm on the armrest while her fingers were intertwined on her laps.

"Please Aunty Khadijah. Wallah he didn't do anything." Kameela begged as she held unto her aunt's hand, hoping she'll look at the plea on her face.

"He has started again ko? Inna lillahi. Ai he'll meet me here today. Kameela and you kept your mouth shut." She pulled her hand away as she stood up from the chair, heated with thoughts of Ismail's behaviour and what he had done to the poor girl. She turned to look at Kameela, to hear what she had to say but instead of meeting a scared Kameela that was ready to answer her question, she met a confused and startled Kameela.

"Started what?" Kameela managed to ask after her aunt's rants.

"Never mind. I'll let you be. But when there is something wrong, don't you ever hesitate to call me." She said as she dropped back down on the sofa, removing her veil and placing it atop her hand bag.

"Of course. Let me get you some food." Kameela cracked a smile while replaying her aunt's previous concealed revelation in her head.

"I just ate at Ghaji's house. I'm too full." Aunty Khadijah huffed, placing her hand on her stomach, remembering the amount of food she consumed barely an hour ago.

"Haba Aunty! How can you come to my house and not eat my food. I'm deeply offended." Kameela shifted, breaking the contact of their thighs as she looked away and pouted.

"I'm sorry. Do you have those your wonderful samosas?" She asked softly as she placed her hand on Kameela's folded arms.

"Yes I do. But they aren't so wonderful compared to yours."

"That's not true. In our case, the student has become the master." Kameela laughed hard, placing her palm over her mouth.

"Let me go and fry them." Aunty Khadijah gave her a smile and she stood up and walked swiftly as to not keep her favourite aunt waiting alone.