Chapter 64 - Power Overwhelming

Five rumps were resting upon furnishings in Deena's living room. They were far from relaxed, no matter how comfortable the sofa was, because it was two twenty according to the clock that echoed with the clicking sound of a second hand. Not knowing was almost worse than a loss—how powerful was the Ley Point, would Eldrian be able to stop Tyreth from stealing it, what was happening now?

Kevin thrust up from his seat. "I can't stand it! Why didn't we go too?"

"I understand, though some battles do need finesse," Daveon responded, and readjusted his cap. "Remember what we talked about weeks ago. It's dangerous enough that this many wizards are in cahoots, so the last thing we need to do is charge into another country as an army. Next time, Kevin. Next time there's a big demon stomping through the land, we'll fight it together."

He cursed beneath his breath. His fingers toyed with the band around his wrist, and he tapped his toe in painful anticipation, but he knew that it wouldn't make the clock move faster. It was inching closer to the time the Ley Point would apparently make its appearance.

"Kevin," spoke the calm voice of Arlandria.

Was she truly calm? Kevin eyed her over, and he thought not. It was simply how elves sounded when they talked, despite the scenario. Perhaps that's why Tyreth was so intimidating.

"You're sweet for worrying about him. But that also means you have to trust him."

Kevin shook his head. "I know," he muttered beneath his breath, and then he maneuvers himself back down to sit uncomfortably on the couch. "Thank you. I do know that."

"I trust him!" Renatta burst out. "He did not die that time I tried to kill him, so I think he is quite talented at living."

"Though it's weird to say it like that," Kevin replied with a chuckle.

Deena wasn't occupying the conversation in the slightest. She had a hefty tome, the Nekonomicon, resting over her lap as she sat alone on a seat beside the rest. Her eyes never left the pages. The way she sat back, much of her face was covered as well. None of them were given the chance to read her.

"It's time," spoke Arlandria. "Two twenty-two. The Ley Point is here."

***

Eldrian had no comprehension of where he was—what anything was. There were only flashing colours in every direction he turned. His feet were touching nothing, yet he gave no effort to fly, and all of his exhaustion and pain was nonexistent. He felt no hunger, thirst, or sadness. He felt very little, actually, almost like his mind and body were numb.

The prismatic light around him was blinding. At least, he figured it would be, but he had no need to avert his eyes. He stared in awe at the beautiful display, but it wasn't long before he felt its effects.

The power. The unbelievable power. It was far too much for his small body to contain, and he began to feel the sensation of a pressurized bottle ready to shatter in the freezer—one someone filled too full with water before placing it inside. He felt like he could destroy mountains, like an atomic bomb was within his chest, waiting to free itself, though he also knew he couldn't let that happen.

If he unleashed all the power of the Ley Point, he could kill the others that were there, and maybe more. He might eliminate a nearby town, or even worse. He had no idea the strength of this energy.

Sandoval squinted open his eyes and gazed both in terror and magnificence at the glory of the light that had appeared before them. It was a sphere of rainbow up in the sky. Eldrian was nowhere to be seen, but the rest were forced against the ground by this sun's intense aura.