Chapter 53 - I've Got No Strings

A first quarter moon rose up to bathe the sky in a cool, white glow as midnight fell upon the city. It was a battle between the starlight and the intense illumination coming from the buildings that spread along the landscape, something that people who lived far away may not have known as well, such as Daveon or Renatta. It was often thought to be tragic, to not have vision of the night sky, but it was there nonetheless. The moon was a persistent force.

Both Eldrian and Deena awaited their meeting with a pressure in their chests. They had no idea what to expect from the mad elf. The time was coming up soon, and yet it did nothing to still their beating hearts, the two of them continued forwards and into the cemetery where Poppet was first discovered digging up the dead for her own benefit.

It was an especially gloomy night. Though clouds didn't cover up the moon, the air was thick, and they could barely make out a single silhouette lurking in the back end of the graveyard. They somehow still knew it was him—Tyreth.

"You came," he spoke in a deep and whispered voice, though it was somehow still clear as day.

Behind him came the tiny, blonde-haired girl Poppet, who then stood by his side.

"Alchia said you weren't working together anymore," Eldrian said.

"The world is fluid," Tyreth replied. "Things change. Poppet is my ally. Were you hoping to out-number me, Eldrian?"

"No. And it doesn't matter. We need to talk."

"I don't think we do. I'm surprised you survived your encounter with that other fellow. I thought for certain he'd capture or kill you all. Relying on others is such a gamble."

"You think you're so smart," Deena muttered.

Tyreth chuckled. "I am. Elves have an intelligence far beyond that of other species. Once I collect the artifacts I seek that truly belong to us, perhaps I'll see what fate has in store for me. I've never seen a reason for humans to exist in the first place. Even now, you're slow. Your minds are slow. Your eyes are slow."

"We just need your help with something," Eldrian said, biting his tongue. "Listen for a second."

"I won't help someone who can't even help themselves. You don't trust me. You're afraid of me. I know this, because neither of you have taken your eyes off me since the beginning of our conversation. Like I said before, you're slow. You didn't even notice."

"Notice wha—" Eldrian could barely make out before his voice stopped abruptly.

Tiny strings shimmered with the glow of the moon, like fishing line made of silver. They snaked down from Poppet's fingers, through the grass, and up Eldrian's pant legs. They had thrust themselves into his flesh in unison, stopping his body in its tracks. Puppet Strings!

Eldrian's arms rose up, but it was not by his own will. The strings within him were plentiful, yet Deena could still barely make them out in the darkness. She saw her friend turn to her, and join the side of the foe in an instant.

"I can't move," he grunted. "She's moving my body for me. Damn it. I didn't even notice. He was right."

Poppet began to laugh maniacally. Like a child celebrating a new toy they receives, she jumped up and down and clapped her hands. One hand fell to her side, and her fingers moved like one controlling a puppet, while her other pointed towards Deena.

"Tyreth here is going to help me find what I'm seeking, if I help him out. So you won't be lucky like last time, you little girl," Poppet sneered.

"You're shorter than me," said Deena.