Chapter 40 - Merry Christmas

Noah's composure was shattered as well. Never before had they seen his gorgeous face contort into a combination of panic and disbelief. He had no idea if Kevin did what he did on purpose or purely through luck, but Noah was left dumbfounded by the breaking of his spell. There were no signs that there would be a spellbreaker amongst his targets, and unless a wizard can compete without his or her spells, a spellbreaker was simply too much, especially one with allies.

"No..." mumbled Noah beneath his stuttering breath.

Eldrian finally regained his senses. He wiped a trickle of blood from his brow, and pulled himself up to stare Kevin directly in the eyes. He was just as surprised as Noah, and Kevin had rarely seen his friend surprised by anything like that.

"What did you just do, Kev?" he asked. "Did you just break his spell?"

"I don't know. I didn't mean to."

"Well, don't stop now."

They stood in a brief silence. Renatta and Daveon were still bound together by anti-magic handcuffs. Deena pulled herself up from her knees. Alchia and Poppet were still on the ground. Eldrian and Kevin stood side-by-side, even if the wizard was bloody and beaten. Their foe squeezed the umbrella in his tight, trembling grip.

Kevin took the initiative. He galloped forwards, and saw something he hadn't really noticed before. Magic wasn't a godly, unseen force. It was able to be felt, and seen. He saw Noah start a spell, and with a swing of his sword, he sent out a bizarre wave of force that interrupted whatever magic was being cast.

"How dare—" snapped Noah.

He then did something he always wanted to do, and that was to smash his Aegis of Light directly into Noah's smug, handsome face. The collision of metal against his cheek rang over the field, and the man flew backwards to tumble into the snow.

Noah wasn't stupid. He'd been doing this exact thing for years, but he simply miscalculated this time around. As he stood, he assessed the situation, and started to take cautious steps backwards.

"I admit," he started. "You caught me by surprise. You hid your trump card well. But what you may not understand, is now we know. There's no place on Earth you can hide where the government won't track you down and bring you in. All of you. And now we know there's several working as one, which is something that never happens. So we'll see each other again. Farewell."

The group flinched forwards, but it was too late. Noah fell into snow-covered ground as if he stepped back into a hole, but when they looked, there was no hole to be found. He was gone.

When both Alchia and Poppet came to, they were laying in the center of a ring of very angry wizards, and a spellbreaker of course. Daveon stared daggers.

"Keys, please," he said simply.

While he undid the cuffs binding him, Deena looked over to Eldrian.

"What happened to you?" she asked quietly.

"I met a very angry elf, who's now even more angry than before."

"Tyreth," Kevin said. "Arlandria knows him. I left her back at the house, just in case. She told me the whole story between them, and it wasn't good. So what do we do about these two?"

"Who are you guys?" asked Eldrian as he crossed his arms.

"I'm Alchia," the taller one said. "And that's Poppet. I'm a wizard, and a chemist. We were only working for Tyreth because he promised us wealth and power, and people to experiment on."

"That does not sound good in the first place," Renatta chimed in.

"Like you guys would understand!" Poppet shrieked.