Chapter 12 - Pass the Newt Eyes

Eldrian wasn't certain if what he was looking over was an ornate dining room table or an altar prepped for a ritualistic sacrifice, or a seance. Candles holding flickering blue flames rose from macabre decorative skulls. Plates and utensils were already laid out, ready for company, and it was all upon a dark wooden table surrounded by matching chairs.

The time was almost four o'clock when he arrived. As evil as it might have all appeared, it was impressive, and he definitely thought it was cool. Deena, however, looked out of energy. She came from the kitchen and wiped her brow before removing the straps of a red apron to place it aside.

"Sorry. I just had to finish up," she said. "The turkey is just about done. The mashed potatoes are good. I've got cranberry sauce and stuffing too. That should be good enough for just the four of us."

"You've been cooking that stuff all day? I could have helped."

"No. It's fine. I just... wanted to do it myself."

"That meal sounds incredibly normal for a family of warlocks and witches. No eyes of newt? No puppy dog tails? No bubbling green cauldron soup? If you'd like, I can go pick up some spider legs before they get here."

He took the time to finally realize her black and silver dress. It was incredibly frilly on the bottom half, and was just as elaborate as her hair that day. All he wore was a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt sporting the logo of a band.

She shook her head. "I have enough spider legs."

"That was a joke. Right?"

"Was it?" Her crimson gaze pierced through his very soul, though her face remained as straight as always. Eldrian shivered.

"Hey, uh, when are they coming?"

"Any minute now. And before they arrive, I just want to let you know again that they can be a bit of a handful. Please don't do anything crazy. Barston and Alumir come from my family—a family of black magic practitioners. They might seem a little... darker than you're used to. Just stay quiet, keep to yourself, and enjoy the food. Okay?"

"Right. That shouldn't be too hard. I think." He sniffed. "Wow. That food does smell good, though."

The witch's phone rang from her pocket. She slid it free and answered the call with little hesitation, and she didn't even hold it to her ear. Instead, she kept it at her side, as she knew what was to come. A jet black door with an ivory knob materialized across the room and it opened. Two figures made their way through.

First, a young man with shoulder-length snow white hair entered the dining room. He had fair skin, looked to be no older than his mid twenties, and his eyes were a vibrant blue. The colour of his irises contrasted his pale skin and hair to immediately become his center of emphasis. He was a few inches taller than Eldrian, and was definitely taller than his sister.

The second man entered. He seemed to be about the same age as the first, though his white hair only reached his ears, and he stood at roughly the same height as Eldrian. His eyes were an emerald green, and below his right was a beauty mark—a single black spec.

Both wore fancy black suits. However, the shirts beneath each matched the colour of each of their eyes.

Deena introduced them, gesturing a hand to each and announcing their names in order. First, she looked to the taller of her brothers—the one with longer hair.

"This is Alumir Darsius," she said before motioning her hand to the other. "And this is Barston Darsius. Brothers, this is Eldrian. He's a wizard as well. The one I told you about joining us tonight. This is still fine, correct?"