Saturday, July 21, 2007

"Why don't you two come out and enjoy the nice weather?" my mother asked. "You're dads are going to be grilling up some lunch pretty soon."

"Can you call us down when it's done?" I asked. "We're just getting to the good part."

"Yeah, plus it's air-conditioned in here," Klara pointed out.

Klara and I were sitting on her bed, propped up by a stack of pillows. She was reading from some space adventure book and we really were just getting to the good part. My mother sighed.

"Alright. Well, enjoy your book then."

"Uh huh," we both mumbled in unison.

My mother turned to leave and shut the door behind her. I could hear her talking to Caleb as they made their way down.

"Why don't those two ever want to do anything fun anymore?" Caleb asked my mother.

"It's a teenager thing, Honey. You'll understand when you're one."

"But Timothy is already thirteen and he doesn't act like that."

"Yes, well, girls mature faster than boys. Trust me. Timothy will catch up."

Once their voiced faded and I heard them hit the bottom of the stairs I scooted over and cuddled up to Klara. She wrapped her arm around me again and continued to read to me. I liked when she read to me. Her voice was soft and soothing. I couldn't have listened to it all day.