Sunday, August 26, 2007

No. I did not write down the juicy details of our experience. The important part was that, Klara and I finally did it. With the fear of someone finding my journal, there was no need to get into it anymore than that. It would be trouble enough without all of the details.

We joined our families again on the last day. Most of it was spent packing, but we also did a big lunch, which was part of our typical routine.

Admittedly, it was hard to sit through lunch without smiling too much, or looking over at Klara too much, or acting too nervous. What if my family knew? I had always heard on TV and read in books that people could tell when you were no longer a virgin. I imagined it was plastered on my face, clear as day, just waiting for someone to stop and notice.

Klara seemed to be feeling the same way. I could see it on her face when I took the chance to peek over at her. She looked just as nervous as me.

"So, Sadie," said Caleb, "I heard you have a new boyfriend!"

I looked up from the salad I was nervously picking at.

"What?"

"One of your friends from school called for you the other day. She said she wanted to know about the guy you've been spending all of your time with over summer. She was also wondering why you haven't been answering her texts."

At some point I had texted my friend, Carly, about "Erik."

"Boyfriend?" my father asked.

I sank down in my seat, embarrassed that my family was now learning about my fake lover.

"Where did you meet this boy?" my mother asked skeptically.

"At the library," Klara answered for me. "We met him one of the times that we took a drive into town. His name is Erik."

"How old is Erik?" my father asked. "How much do you know about him? What's he into? What's he like?"

I could feel my face growing hotter and hotter with every question. I held up my phone and showed my family the picture of Klara's friend Jason.

"He's sixteen," I told them. "He goes to a school a few hours away from mine."

"When do we get to meet him?"

"Uhh... we're not really serious or anything. We just hung out a few times."

"Michael." My mother nudged my father's arm and shot him a warning look. "Let her be. I'm sure we'll hear more about this... boyfriend of hers... when she's ready."

My father rolled his eyes.

"I don't like the thought of my fifteen year old daughter dating some boy I've never even met before. That's all."

I hid my head from embarrassment. I couldn't believe we were sitting at the picnic table having this conversation, in front of both of our families even. It was humiliating.

"Hon, please," my mother argued. "I know Sadie. You should too. There's nothing to worry about."

"It's not Sadie I worry about. It's this boy. How am I supposed to trust him around my daughter when I know nothing about him?"

My mother sighed.

"We'll discuss this later, Michael. Right now we have to get ready to leave. Come on, clean up your plate."

She handed my fatherhis empty plate and walked off into the house. I could feel everyone else'seyes on me, but I didn't dare look up. I kept my face inches from my plate andate the rest of my food in a hurry. I dreaded the car ride home.