Sunday, August 31, 2002

It was the last day of our summer vacation. At least, it was the last day we woke up at the summerhouse in northern Minnesota. School would be starting shortly and we needed to get home to make sure that we were all prepared for the new year.

All of our stuff was packed and loaded into our vehicles by noon. My mother and Klara's had made us one last lunch and we sat eating in a kind of sullen silence. Nobody, not even our parents, wanted to leave. My mother enjoyed spending time with Klara's, and my dad was so thrilled to have the opportunity to catch up with an old friend. If only summer were longer than three months.

"I'm going to miss you guys so much," said Klara.

She picked at the macaroni salad on her plate, mostly pushing it around with her fork.

"We'll miss you too!" Alice all but cried out.

Her eyes were a little bloodshot and watery, as were Anna's. Mine felt dry. Too dry. It was as though I had already cried at some point and I just couldn't remember it. I rubbed at them.

After lunch everyone helped clean up. We worked slowly, drawing out what little time we had left together. While washing dishes my mother, Klara, and I starting goofing off. We flung water and bubbles at each other until the whole kitchen was one big wet, soapy mess. Mrs. Jacobs, Anna, and Alice were outside spraying each other with the hose rather than cleaning off the table. Somewhere, the boys and our fathers were getting into mischief of their own.

I changed into dry clothes around 2:00 P.M. and rolled up my wet, soapy ones, tossing them into a plastic bag and carrying them out to the car. Dad was shaking hands with Mr. Jacobs. Mom was hugging Mrs. Jacobs. All of the kids were hugging each other. I walked up and joined them, hugging Timothy first, and then Klara.

Timothy seemed embarrassed to be hugging me, but Klara wrapped her arms tightly around me and wouldn't let go until her mother practically pulled her off.

"I'll see you next summer," she mumbled quietly.

I nodded, wiped at my now watering eyes, and tried to force a smile.

"Yeah. I can't wait."

Watching them driveaway was hard. Watching the summerhouse grow smaller as we drove away was evenharder. So many good times were had that summer. So many memories were made.Luckily for me, though, it wasn't even the best summer we spent there. I justdidn't know that at the time, and that's what made it so sad when we had toleave.