Sunday, July 4, 2004

Two weeks. Two weeks had gone by. It was a holiday. Things were supposed to be cheerful and exciting, but that wasn't the case. Not for me. I was stressed and tired. Hurt and confused. I couldn't figure out why Klara had reacted the way she had to me telling her how that kiss felt. I was only being honest. It wasn't like I meant to feel something that she didn't. It... it wasn't my fault.

We did our usual routine. Lunch. Digesting in the grass. Fireworks. Sparklers. Throughout all of these events Klara kept her distance. At lunch she sat between Anna and Alice, listening to them go on and on about Barbie dolls and the plans they had for the next day. They were trying to convince her to play with them, because they needed a third person. It didn't take much convincing, though. Klara happily agreed and all I could think was that she was probably agreeing just so she wouldn't have to do anything with me.

While lying in the grass she chose a spot next to Timothy rather than next to me. I got stuck next to Caleb, who fidgeted a lot. Once he moved too close and accidently bumped into me. I couldn't relax like I had the two previous years.

She watched fireworks by her mother. During the sparklers she chased Anna and Alice around. She never once came by me.

It seemed the only real time we spent together was when we had to share a room at the end of the day, but even then, she'd always roll over and face away from me. Sometimes we'd talk, but our conversations would never go too far. She never let me bring up the kiss. I felt hopeless.