Saturday, August 28, 2004

Klara didn't come around. My mother had been wrong. It was our last day together and we were up in our room packing our things. Nothing had changed.

"Klara...."

"I don't want to talk about it, Sadie."

She had her back to me. I watched as she threw her clothes into her suitcase without even bothering to fold them or anything. She seemed like she was in a hurry.

"This is the last day we have together. Can't you at least just let me say that I'm sorry?" I practically pleaded. "I don't know why I said what I said. I guess maybe I overreacted or something. I had never been kissed before and for me it was a big moment. I mean... I've always been more emotional about things than most people I know. That's all."

She finally turned to look at me, though I couldn't tell from her expression if she was buying what I was saying or not. She turned back around without a word.

"Can we just forget the entire thing ever happened?" she asked.

To be honest I didn't really want to forget. I couldn't forget, but I wanted to be friends with Klara again, so I was willing to agree anyway.

"I don't even know what you're talking about," I said.

She turned to me, aslight look of bewilderment on her face, but once she saw the smile I could nolonger hold back, the corners of her own lips curled in a half-smile. We didn'ttalk about it after that. I knew that was the moment we had come to our understanding.Klara and I weren't going to discuss the kiss ever again, but at least we couldstill be friends, and I was perfectly okay with that.