Monday, June 27, 2005

"Can Sadie and I take Ringo for a walk?" Klara asked her mother at lunch.

Mrs. Jacobs smiled.

"Of course you can. I'm sure he would love the exercise. Where do you plan to take him?"

"Just across the field to the woods and back."

Her mother nodded. Klara got up abruptly and ran to get his leash.

"Klara!" her mother called. "You have to take care of your plate first!"

I offered to take care of it for her when Klara didn't seem to hear. Mrs. Jacobs looked disappointed and I understood. Klara wouldn't learn the lesson if I did it for her, but her mother didn't exactly stop me.

The sun was up high in the sky, warming the land and our skin. I rolled up the sleeves of my t-shirt, already feeling like I was beginning to sweat just from stepping outside. I noticed Klara had done the same. She was sitting on the porch with Ringo, waiting for me. She smiled when she saw me step out.

"Ready?" she asked.

I nodded.

Ringo didn't seem to walk on a leash very well. He tugged this way and pulled that way. He stopped a lot, got tangled up, and occasionally tried to chew on his leash. By the time we made it to the woods we were tired from trying to keep him under control. We all took a seat on the ground. Ringo sat between us again.

You haven't talked a lot this summer," Klara informed me.

I shrugged.

"Haven't had anything to talk about."

"I heard you got a boyfriend."

"I did," I admitted. "It didn't last very long, though. I wasn't really into him that way."

"Why not?" she asked.

"I don't know. It just didn't feel right, especially kissing him. It wasn't like ki...."

I couldn't finish the sentence. I stopped. We weren't supposed to bring it up and there I was, almost blurting it out. Klara shot me a look that said I was wise not to continue. I looked down at the ground, staying silent. After a moment she spoke.

"Was he the only one?"

I nodded.

"I didn't feel like dating again after we broke up. I guess I had other things on my mind."

"Like what?"

"Like school, friends, family, holidays, you, coming back here...."

"Me?"

Had I let that slip out?

"Um... yeah. You know... after last summer and all...."

"Sadie!"

"What?" I asked, feeling slightly hurt by the tone in which she had said my name.

It oozed disappointment.

"There you go again. Bringing that up. I thought we had agreed to pretend it didn't happen."

"I can't pretend, Klara." My eyes were starting to water now. "You may not have felt anything, but I did and I can't just pretend that I didn't."

"That explains why you've been keeping your distance all month. I mean, come on, you've paid more attention to my dog than me."

It was technically true. I couldn't argue there.

"Klara...."

"Don't, Sadie. Just... don't." She stood up and dusted herself off. "I think maybe we should head back now."

Before I could protest she was already walking away with Ringo. I sighed and followed behind, dragging my feet the whole way.