Wednesday, June 12, 2002

It took a few days, but eventually everyone was settled in. Anna and Alice shared a room. Caleb and Timothy shared another room. Klara and I shared the third room, and the only one left on the top floor. Our parents had their own rooms down stairs.

Klara and I were talking now. Once we opened up to each other we had discovered that we had quite a bit in common. We had TV shows, music, and movies in common. We both liked to write. We both liked to read. We even had similar taste in clothing. I wore a pair of beat up gray, low-top converse every day, no matter what outfit I was wearing, and Klara wore her red high-tops.

The walls in our room were cluttered with posters for bands, TV shows, and cool outer-space things. We had our own bookshelf, which was packed full. There was a small desk, two small, twin beds, and a large walk in closet. The room was neat for the most part, and looked like it belonged to two small boys rather than girls. Although, there was a large pile of stuffed animals piled on top of my bed that stuck out like a sore thumb.

"What should we do today?" I asked.

Klara shrugged.

"There's a beach out back. You can get there by walking through the trees. It leads to a path that winds down the side of the hill. Timothy and the others have been going there often already."

"I've seen that beach. I didn't think there was a way to get to it though. How come no one said anything about it before?"

She shrugged again.

"I'm not sure, but let's go check it out today. If you want to that is."

We grabbed two pairs of shorts and two t-shirts out of the closet, not even paying attention to who the clothes belonged to. I must have grabbed one of Klara's shirts, because she was taller than me, and so it was a little too long. I didn't care. Neither did she. We slipped them on quickly and ran out back.

The others were already there, splashing around in the shallow water, yelling loudly. Mrs. Jacobs and my mother were reclining on blankets in the sand, keeping watch over us children. Glasses of lemonade with bendy straws were propped up next to them in the sand.

"Where have you guys been?" Timothy asked. "You're missing out on all the fun."

Klara ran ahead, straight for the water. I found Anna and Alice building a sandcastle with buckets. I joined them for a little while and helped them out. The castle kept collapsing until I suggested they not use dry sand. When we were finally done, we found tiny shells in the sand, a few leaves from the trees up above, and some rocks to use as decorations. In the end we had a decent looking castle. The only thing we couldn't find was a flag to put on top.

"You should come swimming."

I glanced up to see Klara standing beside me. She was dripping wet with sand sticking to her feet. She held out her hand.

"It is pretty hot out. It would probably feel good."

She smiled.

"It feels great. The waters perfect."

I grabbed her hand and let her drag me out into the water. It was cold at first, and I shivered, but eventually Klara pulled me under and I forgot all about the cold. When I resurfaced I splashed water directly in her face and we laughed about it as we broke out into an all out water flinging war.