Tuesday, August 3, 2004

My mother realized something was up.

"You two have barely talked this entire summer so far," she mentioned as we stood in the kitchen preparing lunch together. "Did you have a fight or something?"

"Something like that," I admitted.

"What was it about?"

How was I supposed to answer that? I wasn't about to tell my mother that we fought over differing feelings about the kiss we had shared. I wasn't sure she'd quite understand. I had to think of something else.

"It's... it's nothing. Just some stupid little thing."

She handed me a spoon and told me to mix chopped up fruit and whipped cream into strawberry Jell-o for everyone's favorite Jell-o salad. I dumped everything in and accidently let some overflow out of the big bowl as I mixed, right onto the counter.

"Well I'm sure you guys will make up soon. Is it anything you'd like to talk about?"

I shook my head once she glanced over at me.

"It won't matter anyway," I mumbled quietly. "Klara will still be mad at me."

She raised an eyebrow. I had said too much.

"She's mad at you? Did you say or do something to cause this?"

Great.

"I guess I said something she didn't want to hear, but it was stupid. I didn't know she'd react the way she did. I thought she would agree with me."

"Did you apologize for whatever it was?" she asked.

"Yeah. I mean I tried. She just won't listen."

She was quiet for a long moment as she walked over to the bowl I was still mixing and looked in.

"I think that's good enough," she finally said. "You can go put it in the fridge."

I walked over and opened the fridge door. There was a lot of food in there already, so I had to do a bit if rearranging, but eventually I found a spot for my bowl of Jell-o salad.

"Anything else you'd like me to help with?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"Nope. That should just about do it." There was a long pause. "And Sadie... try not to worry too much. Whatever it was that you said, Klara will come around. I doubt something so small is going to ruin the strong friendship that you two already share."

I smiled half-heartedly. I wanted to believe her, really, I did. I just wasn't sure if I could at the time.