Monday, August 14, 2006

This was the day that Klara and I spent way out in the woods, just the two of us, from the time we left breakfast until it was time for dinner. At first we took a walk and explored as far as we could go before we got too tired. Then we took a snack break and relaxed underneath the trees, hidden away from the rest of the world.

I scooted closer to Klara and leaned in to kiss her. She backed away.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just... I wanted to kiss you again."

She looked around.

"Here?"

I nodded.

"Yeah. Why not?"

She picked at some of the faded pink polish on her nails.

"What about our families? What if someone came out here? What if they saw us?"

I looked around. Everything appeared to be pretty silent and serene.

"Nobody's out here," I assured her. "It'll be fine. I promise."

I waited patiently while Klara looked around again to make sure that no body else was in the woods with us. When she was finally convinced we were alone she leaned in and kissed me. Later on we climbed the trees, played hide and seek, chased each other, carved our initials in the tree bark, and then kissed again.

To be honest, it was the longest time Klara and I had actually spent alone together. It was fun, which is why it would be one of my most cherished memories. If I had it my way, we would have been spending every day together like that.