Numb

Five o' clock couldn't get here quick enough. 

All day long I was pacing around the house, trying to figure out what I was going to say. Trying to make sure I didn't make a fool out of myself.

I even started to have second thoughts.

Rhett and I can't get back together. I'll just ruin us again. I'll fuck up like I always do.

And then I thought about the scars. Rhett would find out. He would know what I've done to myself.

The fear set in so deep, I almost called off the movie but I stopped.

I wanted to see Rhett again. I wanted to smell him and be near him. I wanted to laugh with him and smile at him.

My want for Rhett was deeper than my fear of him finding out my deepest secrets.

So I showered and put on my best. I brushed my hair and gelled it back. I cleaned my glasses, and tied up my boots. I brushed my teeth and then I waited.

Just a few minutes had passed when Rhett knocked on the door.

"Hello," I said, excitedly.

He was still wearing that yellow shirt.

"Hi," he grinned, stepping inside.

I wished to kiss him, but he was not mine.

"How was work?" I asked, locking the door. 

He shrugged, "Long. It was a long wait."

My cheeks turned to cherries, "Oh. Well, you're here now. So what's the plan?"

He cocked his head to the side and yawned, "How about we go see that new movie Get Out, then we can grab a bite to eat on the way home?"

I agreed, already stuffing my phone and wallet into my pockets. I went to find a jacket and by the time I did, Rhett was already waiting with the passenger side door open.

He was so cute in that dumb yellow shirt, standing there like a little banana. 

Sorry, big banana.

I jumped in and buckled up. 

His car smelt of pie today, which wasn't odd. You never knew what was gonna happen at Mythical Entertainment and I was positive the pie smell had some sort of correlation.

He got in, then took off for the movie theater.

It had been a bit since Rhett and I had been out in public together. I prayed this went well.

I hadn't really been anywhere other than work either. So this all felt new, even though I had been to the movies more times than average.

We decided to go to the earliest show possible which just so happened to be in 15 minutes. 

We booked it though concessions and into the theater.

It was half full and only getting fuller.

But with one large popcorn, a blue raspberry freeze, and a 3 dollar bottle of water, we sat down for the movie.

The room was hot, but I was so anxious I was cold.

I leaned back in my chair, deepening myself into the thick layer of sweat and dust.

Rhett held the popcorn in his lap and I was hesitant to grab for a handful because I was afraid of making myself sick.

But a few handfuls couldn't hurt, so I enjoyed what I could and then downed my entire bottle of water with ease.