Rhett

He picked up on the third ring.

He voice was raspy on the other side of the line. He must have been asleep.

"Hello," he moaned. That simple word took me back and broke me all at the same time, but I was so happy to hear his voice.

"Rhett," I choked out. I felt warm tears brewing but I ignored them and continued, "I need you."

He perked up, "Link, is that you?"

"Yes, Rhett."

"Are you okay?" he asked. I could hear him moving now. I could hear his worry.

"I need you.." I repeated. I couldn't form the right words into the right sentence. I couldn't think straight.

The truth was that I needed a hug. I needed to feel security. I needed to feel like I wasn't alone for once.

When I got home, I wanted to grab a lighter and burn away the feeling of Devin and the fear he brought to me. But I wanted to be stopped. I wanted Rhett to stop me.

For once, I felt confident enough to regain my life back.

I heard Rhett start his car, "Link, tell me what's wrong."

I was silent.

"Link, are you still there buddy?"

Buddy...I hadn't been called that in so long. I finally broke and I began to cry.

"I'm still here," I spoke.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm almost there. Just a few more minutes. Just stay on the phone with me, okay?"

I nodded, although he couldn't see it. But he knew and in just a few minutes time, he pulled up in my driveway.

I unlocked the door and opened it slowly. I hung up the phone and threw it on the couch.

It had been weeks since I had laid eyes on Rhett, but seeing him now, in his pajamas with his messy hair, made me remember why I ever loved him.

He started towards the door, but I couldn't stop myself. I ran to him.

I wrapped my arms so tightly around him my veins could burst.

I was sobbing now, smelling his t shirt that I buried my nose into.

He was holding me, rubbing my back and telling me everything was okay.

We stood there, holding each other while I cried into him. He didn't rush me, or make me feel uncomfortable. He was same ole' Rhett.

I took a deep breath and looked up. His eyes were sad, but he smiled, "Let's go in, okay?"

I nodded and followed Rhett inside.

I shut the door behind me a locked it tight.

"Whoa," I heard Rhett mumble under his breath.

My house was a mess, but I didn't care. I sat down, waiting for him to join me.

He looked at me strangely this time, "Link, tell me what's wrong."

He was expectant, but I just couldn't do it. I tried to tell him what I had been doing for these last few weeks but I knew he would be angry with me.

He wouldn't understand why I was burning my body or starving myself. I would upset him and I did not want to do that.

"I went out with this guy tonight - Not like on a date or anything...Just drinking with a friend, and he tried to touch me and it scared me...He scared me...I just didn't want to be alone."