Dingos

That night, I recieved another call from Rhett. It was 11:34 p.m. and I was already in bed for the night.

Every bone in my body wanted to answer but my mind pushed the thought away.

"You're not ready," it would say, "Give him the silent treatment." But I was tired of the silent treatment. I was tired of not having Rhett.

I was tired of being just Link.

The ringing stopped. He tried one more time but I stopped myself as I reached for the phone.

"It's for the best," my mind would say.

So I rolled over in bed and I cried. I cried for what felt like years, but when I finally pulled myself together and glanced at the silver clock on the wall, it was only midnight.

I tried to sleep after that. I closed my eyes and listened to the cold silence of my own home. I wouldn't sleep tonight. I couldn't.

I laid there for a while, just thinking.

I wondered what life would be like if I never saw Rhett on that gurney. I wondered if I would still have somehow ended up loving him.

It's crazy to me that for years, I only saw Rhett as a friend and then in a snap, I was madly in love with him.

I missed the way things used to be. I missed having friends and fans and a family. I missed human interaction more than anything.

Although I worked as a customer service representative, I always felt alone at work. And then there was Devin, who, let's face it, isn't my kind of company.

I really did feel horrible about the way I treated him. But he did seem like a bit of a stalker.

I mean, I never told him where I lived. And I wouldn't have either.

Devin was cool when he wanted to be but so odd all at the same time.

I looked at the clock again. 12:27. 

I thought for a minute more and then shot out of bed and into my clothes. I slipped on my shoes and then sent Devin a text.

Where r u?

It took him no time to respond.

at dingos. wanna come join?

I grabbed my wallet and my jacket as I walked to the door.

I took a deep breath and thought once more before stepping out into the brisk air.

Maybe this would be good for me.

Just maybe.