14

An hour and a half past and Melanie and I were still in the park. Most of the people left and clouds started to form, bringing shade from the sun. Melanie and I were still on the swings, making jokes and competing who could get higher- it was me by the way haha. We were talking about getting food until a boy around our age walked our way.

"Hey ladies." He greeted. I internally cringed at him and wanted to leave. I looked at Melanie and I could sense her uncomfortableness. "So are you single?" He asked us. The fuck? We barely know each other and he wants to date. What if I was a mass murderer? I don't get people who ask out random people. It's weird.

"I'm in a relationship." I lied. He nodded and looked towards Melanie. I tensed when he smiled at her. I don't know why I did though. "What about you?" He asked Melanie. Melanie was uncomfortable, I could see clearly- everyone could. I quickly chimed in to help. "She's my girlfriend." I quickly stated, gaining the boy's attention. He raised his eyebrows. "But you said you had a boyfriend." He replied, frustration in his tone. "No, I said I was in a relationship." I grabbed Melanie's hand and intertwined them together. The boy scoffed. "As if I believe you two are together." He snarled. I felt Melanie tense up and grip my hand tightly. I sighed and stood up, making Melanie stand as well. She was confused and a sudden wave of guilt rushed over my body due to what I was about to do next.

I placed my hands on Melanie's waist and gently pulled her closer. The boy was still standing next to us, shocked. "I'm sorry." I whispered into Melanie's ear. She tensed up in my embrace, making the guilt in my body increase. I gave her a kiss on the cheek and faced the boy, ignoring Melanie's reaction. "Can you piss off now?" I snarled at the boy. He walked off and we kept staring at him until his figure couldn't be seen. I looked over to Melanie. "I am so sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable." I quickly apologised. "I mean, he wouldn't have stopped bugging you if we never done that." I added. Melanie blushed and smiled lightly. "It's o-okay." She stuttered, looking down at the ground. "Um, you wanna go to McDonald's or something?" I asked, trying to change the subject. She nodded lightly and smiled. "But let's go to my house, we can ask my parents to drop us." I suggested. "Yeah, I'm too tired to walk all the way to McDonald's." She agreed.

We both started to walk to my house. It was silent but this time, an awkward one. We both kept staring at the ground whilst we were walking, looking up when crossing the road because "sAfEtY fIrSt". It was clear to why we're embraced by silence. I am such an idiot. I mean, I could've said Melanie had a boyfriend and the boy would've left. Well, the other times that it happened to me and my friends, the guys would stay. The same could've happened here. We were nearly home and I needed to clear the awkwardness before we reached home.

"Melanie?" I asked quietly. "Hmm?" She hummed a reply, looking up to me. We both stopped walking and just faced each other. "We need to clear the park situation." I answered. She slowly nodded her head, unsure of what I was going to say. "Ok, the reason to why I did what I did was because of natural instincts, if you get what I'm trying to say." I continued on unsurely. She had a confused expression. I sighed and continued. "Basically, my friends and I agreed on pretending to be each other's partners if we came across a situation like that. It worked everytime though so the person would leave." I finished. She nodded again but in a normal pace. "So you thought it would work here and it did." She added. "Exactly. So now that we've cleared everything up, we cool?" I asked. She giggled lightly and smiled. "Yeah." "Good cuz that would've been one awkward car ride." I added, causing us to chuckle.

We entered my house and were greeted by warmth. I closed the door behind us and faced Melanie. "Time to call the children down." I joked, causing Melanie to giggle. "MUM, DAD, WE NEED YOU THIS IS AN EMERGENCY, I REPEAT AN EMERGENCY!" I shouted, Melanie shook her head. "You really love screaming don't you?" She questioned. "I prefer making others scream...in bed." I slyly remarked whilst smirking. Melanie shook her head again. "I don't have time for your sexual innuendos." She stated, making me smile. "Too bad, you have to put up with me for the rest of your life." I added. "Shit really? I don't have enough holy water for your sins." Melanie smirked back. "Mhmmm, maybe you can help me make some." I winked at Melanie, causing her to blush and cover her face. "I will never get used to you." She mumbled into her palms of her hands, causing me to laugh.

As we finished joking around, my parents came down the stairs. "Ahhhhh, my children." I ran to my parents and hugged them. "What do you need?" My Mum sighed. "Can you guys drop us of to Maccies?" I asked. My parents looked at eachother and to Melanie and to me. "Why did we expect for you to be in a real emergency?" My Dad asked. "Cuz this is one mate." I answered, running back to Melanie and slinging my arm through hers. "Let's get going." My Mum said, leading the way. My Mum was driving this time and my Dad was in the passnger seat. Melanie and I were on the back seats. "LET'S GET DIABETES!" My Dad shouted, making us all laugh. "This is going to be a fun ride." Melanie whispered to me, making us both giggle.